Sep 6, 2011, 8:47 PM EDT
We already knew that Hanley Ramirez was going to require surgery on his ailing left shoulder, but now we have the date.
According to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, Dr. James Andrews will perform the surgery next Thursday.
The Marlins hope Ramirez will be ready for spring training, but we won’t get an accurate timetable for his return until the surgery is complete. Early word is that he may need 4-6 months to rehab, which could put him at risk for missing the early part of the 2012 season and the opening of the new Marlins’ ballpark.
Ramirez, 27, batted just .243/.333/.379 with 10 homers, 45 RBI and a .712 OPS over 385 plate appearances this season. He is under contract for $15 million in 2012, $15.5 million in 2013 and $16 million in 2014.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)