Sep 6, 2011, 8:47 PM EDT
We already knew that Hanley Ramirez was going to require surgery on his ailing left shoulder, but now we have the date.
According to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, Dr. James Andrews will perform the surgery next Thursday.
The Marlins hope Ramirez will be ready for spring training, but we won’t get an accurate timetable for his return until the surgery is complete. Early word is that he may need 4-6 months to rehab, which could put him at risk for missing the early part of the 2012 season and the opening of the new Marlins’ ballpark.
Ramirez, 27, batted just .243/.333/.379 with 10 homers, 45 RBI and a .712 OPS over 385 plate appearances this season. He is under contract for $15 million in 2012, $15.5 million in 2013 and $16 million in 2014.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 9
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)