Sep 6, 2011, 8:47 PM EDT
We already knew that Hanley Ramirez was going to require surgery on his ailing left shoulder, but now we have the date.
According to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, Dr. James Andrews will perform the surgery next Thursday.
The Marlins hope Ramirez will be ready for spring training, but we won’t get an accurate timetable for his return until the surgery is complete. Early word is that he may need 4-6 months to rehab, which could put him at risk for missing the early part of the 2012 season and the opening of the new Marlins’ ballpark.
Ramirez, 27, batted just .243/.333/.379 with 10 homers, 45 RBI and a .712 OPS over 385 plate appearances this season. He is under contract for $15 million in 2012, $15.5 million in 2013 and $16 million in 2014.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 38
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)