Sep 6, 2011, 8:02 PM EDT
Good news for the Red Sox.
While we heard this morning that Josh Beckett wasn’t dealing with a sprained right ankle as originally diagnosed yesterday, Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com reports that he underwent an examination earlier today which was consistent with an ankle sprain.
According to a release from the team, an MRI confirmed no other injury to his ankle tendons or his Achilles tendon. He is scheduled to be reexamined later this week.
Red Sox manager Terry Francona announced this afternoon that Beckett won’t pitch this weekend against the Rays, but it sounds like they dodged a bullet here.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)