Sep 6, 2011, 8:02 PM EDT
Good news for the Red Sox.
While we heard this morning that Josh Beckett wasn’t dealing with a sprained right ankle as originally diagnosed yesterday, Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com reports that he underwent an examination earlier today which was consistent with an ankle sprain.
According to a release from the team, an MRI confirmed no other injury to his ankle tendons or his Achilles tendon. He is scheduled to be reexamined later this week.
Red Sox manager Terry Francona announced this afternoon that Beckett won’t pitch this weekend against the Rays, but it sounds like they dodged a bullet here.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 96
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 71
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 44
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (96)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)