Sep 6, 2011, 8:02 PM EDT
Good news for the Red Sox.
While we heard this morning that Josh Beckett wasn’t dealing with a sprained right ankle as originally diagnosed yesterday, Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com reports that he underwent an examination earlier today which was consistent with an ankle sprain.
According to a release from the team, an MRI confirmed no other injury to his ankle tendons or his Achilles tendon. He is scheduled to be reexamined later this week.
Red Sox manager Terry Francona announced this afternoon that Beckett won’t pitch this weekend against the Rays, but it sounds like they dodged a bullet here.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 18
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 60
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)