Josh Beckett’s ankle is not sprained. So what the heck is wrong with it?

Sep 6, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Josh Beckett AP

I suppose this could cut either good or bad. But it is still somewhat unsettling, for we fear the unknown:

The diagnosis of  the injury suffered by the pitcher in the fourth inning Monday was originally classified as a sprain, but has since been identified as something different. It isn’t clear if it is more promising, or potentially more threatening. As the pitcher said after the loss, he has never experienced anything like this so answers will have to come when he visits with foot specialist Dr. George Theodore Tuesday.

For a team that for so much of the year looked like it was ready to be crowned, there are a lot of questions swirling around the Sox right now.

1. easports82 - Sep 6, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Quick! Someone get some ketchup to put on his sock for his next start!

2. dirtyharry1971 - Sep 6, 2011 at 10:58 AM

whatever it is i hope it keeps him out until the end of the year

• southofheaven81 - Sep 6, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I’m a die-hard Yankees fan & even I think that was bad form.

• dirtyharry1971 - Sep 6, 2011 at 2:25 PM

glad you enjoyed it

3. pisano - Sep 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM

It’s about his redneck brain, I’m sure the ankle is fine.

• yankeesgameday - Sep 6, 2011 at 11:52 AM

at least he closes his mouth when breathing.

4. formersoxfan - Sep 6, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Maybe it’s from standing around too much. He’s a great pitcher but his games are so boring while taking forever between pitches.

• cur68 - Sep 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I guaran-fricken-tee you its not from rushing his delivery. Probably varicose veins paining him from standing still so much. Between him taking ages to come set and deliver and Tek’s 25 hand signals I found myself actually working on my school stuff rather than paying attention to the game. I found I could get about 1.5 sentences written in the time it took for the 2 of them to decide on a pitch.

What the hell do those to guys do between innings? Its not like Beckett’s reading book in the dugout and Tek’s only batting once every 3rd inning or so. They seem to be genuinely surprised a player steps in the box and then they have to decide who this guy is and what might be the best approach. God help you when the batter inevitably calls time because a glacier has encroached on the field while they make up their minds. Then I can finish a paragraph as they do it all again.

• pisano - Sep 6, 2011 at 3:27 PM

cur68…. the reason he does it is because he’s allowed to get away with it. He’s like a dog that licks his nuts, he does it because he can. As a matter of fact I see a correlation between the two.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3551)