Rafael Furcal would be interested in coming back to St. Louis

Sep 6, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

Rafael Furcal Getty Images

Cardinals: I like Rafael.

Cardinals’ friend: Do you like him, or do you like like him?

Cardinals: I like like him.

Cardinals friend: OMG!

[meanwhile, at the other end of the cafeteria]

Rafael Furcal:  I like the Cardinals.

Rafael’s friend: Really like them?

Furcal“I love the city … I’d want to play for St. Louis.”

Friend: Hmmm. “I’d?”  That seems a bit hypothetical.

Furcal: Well, a man has to keep is options open, right?

1. entersandman42ny - Sep 6, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Slow morning?

2. bravesman1983 - Sep 6, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Even if Furcal hangs around in St. Louis next year, the Cardinals would probably do well to figure out who their starting SS will be for the other 80 games of the season. For their sake, I hope answer isn’t still Ryan Theriot.

• Alex K - Sep 6, 2011 at 10:49 AM

As a Cubs fan I really, really hope the answer is Ryan Theriot.

• paperlions - Sep 6, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Blasphemer! Theriot “plays the game the right way”, rarely strikes out, always give 110%, is the kind of player that always has a dirty uniform, is scrappy, great in the clubhouse, willing switches positions when asked, and gets the most out of his talent.

Everyone should want a dozen Theriots on their team.

• okwhitefalcon - Sep 6, 2011 at 10:56 AM

A dozen Theriot’s and more hurlers that “pitch to contact”.

Perfect!

• Alex K - Sep 6, 2011 at 11:30 AM

That is my dream Cardinals team. twelve Ryan Theriots and thirteen Kyle Lohses.

• Alex K - Sep 6, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Incidentally I think it might be TLR’s dream Cardinals team, as well.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Reading “twelve Ryan Theriots” and then picturing that scene brought a tear to my eye. Awesome. I miss the LSU, frenchy sounding, super duo that was once Theriot/Fontenot. The brothers Hobbiton. Someone reunite them!

• Alex K - Sep 6, 2011 at 5:25 PM

I don’t miss them at all. it make my heart go pitter-patter that they don’t wear blue pinstripes and play the middle infield together anymore.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS