Rajai Davis shut down for year after hamstring injury setback

Sep 6, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT

Blue Jays batter Rajai Davis watches his two run double during their MLB American League baseball game in Toronto

Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that the Blue Jays have shut down outfielder Rajai Davis for the remainder of the season after experiencing a setback in his recovery from a hamstring injury.

Toronto acquired Davis from the A’s in November and then signed him to a two-year, $5.75 million contract hoping that he’d get on base for the lineup’s many sluggers and inject some speed into the powerful offense.

He accomplished the speed part, swiping 34 bases in 94 games, but Davis was also thrown out 11 times and hit just .238 with a .273 on-base percentage. He’s under contract for $2.75 million next season and the Blue Jays also have a $3 million option or $500,000 buyout for 2013, but Davis figures to have a lesser role as a fourth outfielder.

1. cur68 - Sep 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM

This is a good thing for Davis, actually. He needs to get some plate discipline up. He’s just a sucker for the low and away breaking ball. His only aim at the plate should be to make contact, not get a hit. Dwayne Murphy worked wonders with Bautista with the “make contact, hit it hard, approach”. I see no reason why this wouldn’t work on Davis. Before his injury he was showing signs of a shorter swing, laying off the outside pitch and legging out ground balls for a hit. Hopefully he continues to work on that. He could be really good some day if he can bring his speed to the base paths with more regularity.

2. dirtyharry1971 - Sep 6, 2011 at 10:31 PM

speaking of shutting down the bluegays should shutdown that perez kid who pitched for them tonight, he is another bum like snider and drabeck if there ever was one

• cur68 - Sep 6, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Thanks for caring ‘harry. It’s nice to know I can count on you to care bout how the Jays do. Viva le castor!

• dirtyharry1971 - Sep 6, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Hey no problem, and i really do care too. I care so much i want to see them join the expos and i think we are getting close to that cause lets face it, nobody goes to their games just like the expos!! stick with hockey kid, trust me

• cur68 - Sep 7, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Aww shucks, you don’t fool me one bit ‘harry. You’re really a decent person not a douchey lil troll Like I’ve said in the past. I too want the Beaver Men games to be well attended and for them to do well. I’m just confident and secure enough to say so. I realize the world can’t be comprised of people like me (what fun would that be?) so I understand you’re hiding your pain and suffering behind a mask of douche. I bet the vinegar really fools most people huh? Don’t worry lil fella, I got your back on this one. I know who you really are.

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4713)