Sep 6, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Toronto acquired Davis from the A’s in November and then signed him to a two-year, $5.75 million contract hoping that he’d get on base for the lineup’s many sluggers and inject some speed into the powerful offense.
He accomplished the speed part, swiping 34 bases in 94 games, but Davis was also thrown out 11 times and hit just .238 with a .273 on-base percentage. He’s under contract for $2.75 million next season and the Blue Jays also have a $3 million option or $500,000 buyout for 2013, but Davis figures to have a lesser role as a fourth outfielder.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)