Sep 6, 2011, 10:25 PM EDT
Maybin was acquired from the Marlins last November in exchange for relievers Ryan Webb and Edward Mujica. The 24-year-old has battled through some bumps and bruises this season, but has emerged as one of the better all-around center fielders in baseball, batting .275/.332/.400 to go along with eight home runs, 35 RBI, 34 stolen bases and a .731 OPS over 476 plate appearances. He has also played top notch defense.
By the way, entering play tonight, Marlins’ center fielders have combined to bat just .238/.312/.375 with a .687 OPS. To be fair, Maybin had underwhelmed since coming over to the Marlins in the Miguel Cabrera deal, but giving up a young, cost-controlled center fielder for two relievers could look pretty silly in the long run.
Maybin likely won’t be arbitration eligible until 2012 and remains under team control through 2015, so there’s no sense of urgency to get a deal done now, but the Padres will presumably want to buy out at least one free agent season. Corey Brock of MLB.com hears that there’s been some dialogue about an extension, but “nothing even the least bit close” right now.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 37
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 88
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)