Sep 6, 2011, 10:25 PM EDT
Maybin was acquired from the Marlins last November in exchange for relievers Ryan Webb and Edward Mujica. The 24-year-old has battled through some bumps and bruises this season, but has emerged as one of the better all-around center fielders in baseball, batting .275/.332/.400 to go along with eight home runs, 35 RBI, 34 stolen bases and a .731 OPS over 476 plate appearances. He has also played top notch defense.
By the way, entering play tonight, Marlins’ center fielders have combined to bat just .238/.312/.375 with a .687 OPS. To be fair, Maybin had underwhelmed since coming over to the Marlins in the Miguel Cabrera deal, but giving up a young, cost-controlled center fielder for two relievers could look pretty silly in the long run.
Maybin likely won’t be arbitration eligible until 2012 and remains under team control through 2015, so there’s no sense of urgency to get a deal done now, but the Padres will presumably want to buy out at least one free agent season. Corey Brock of MLB.com hears that there’s been some dialogue about an extension, but “nothing even the least bit close” right now.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 5
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 58
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 46
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (248)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)