Sep 6, 2011, 10:25 PM EDT
Maybin was acquired from the Marlins last November in exchange for relievers Ryan Webb and Edward Mujica. The 24-year-old has battled through some bumps and bruises this season, but has emerged as one of the better all-around center fielders in baseball, batting .275/.332/.400 to go along with eight home runs, 35 RBI, 34 stolen bases and a .731 OPS over 476 plate appearances. He has also played top notch defense.
By the way, entering play tonight, Marlins’ center fielders have combined to bat just .238/.312/.375 with a .687 OPS. To be fair, Maybin had underwhelmed since coming over to the Marlins in the Miguel Cabrera deal, but giving up a young, cost-controlled center fielder for two relievers could look pretty silly in the long run.
Maybin likely won’t be arbitration eligible until 2012 and remains under team control through 2015, so there’s no sense of urgency to get a deal done now, but the Padres will presumably want to buy out at least one free agent season. Corey Brock of MLB.com hears that there’s been some dialogue about an extension, but “nothing even the least bit close” right now.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 5
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 21
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car