Sep 6, 2011, 10:25 PM EDT
Maybin was acquired from the Marlins last November in exchange for relievers Ryan Webb and Edward Mujica. The 24-year-old has battled through some bumps and bruises this season, but has emerged as one of the better all-around center fielders in baseball, batting .275/.332/.400 to go along with eight home runs, 35 RBI, 34 stolen bases and a .731 OPS over 476 plate appearances. He has also played top notch defense.
By the way, entering play tonight, Marlins’ center fielders have combined to bat just .238/.312/.375 with a .687 OPS. To be fair, Maybin had underwhelmed since coming over to the Marlins in the Miguel Cabrera deal, but giving up a young, cost-controlled center fielder for two relievers could look pretty silly in the long run.
Maybin likely won’t be arbitration eligible until 2012 and remains under team control through 2015, so there’s no sense of urgency to get a deal done now, but the Padres will presumably want to buy out at least one free agent season. Corey Brock of MLB.com hears that there’s been some dialogue about an extension, but “nothing even the least bit close” right now.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 11
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 2
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)