Sep 6, 2011, 10:25 PM EDT
Maybin was acquired from the Marlins last November in exchange for relievers Ryan Webb and Edward Mujica. The 24-year-old has battled through some bumps and bruises this season, but has emerged as one of the better all-around center fielders in baseball, batting .275/.332/.400 to go along with eight home runs, 35 RBI, 34 stolen bases and a .731 OPS over 476 plate appearances. He has also played top notch defense.
By the way, entering play tonight, Marlins’ center fielders have combined to bat just .238/.312/.375 with a .687 OPS. To be fair, Maybin had underwhelmed since coming over to the Marlins in the Miguel Cabrera deal, but giving up a young, cost-controlled center fielder for two relievers could look pretty silly in the long run.
Maybin likely won’t be arbitration eligible until 2012 and remains under team control through 2015, so there’s no sense of urgency to get a deal done now, but the Padres will presumably want to buy out at least one free agent season. Corey Brock of MLB.com hears that there’s been some dialogue about an extension, but “nothing even the least bit close” right now.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)