Sep 6, 2011, 7:31 PM EDT
According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said this afternoon that Rickie Weeks might be activated from the disabled list during a series against the Phillies this weekend.
But he won’t return to the starting lineup right away. The plan is for Weeks to be eased back into action via pinch-hit appearances and short stints in the field.
“We wouldn’t be activating him to play second base a lot. We would ease him in. We haven’t gotten there yet.”
Weeks hasn’t played since July 27 due to a severely sprained left ankle. The All-Star second baseman has yet to run the bases, but Roenicke said that he had “a really good day” during a workout Monday, showing less hesitation before starting to run a straight line in the outfield. The main goal is to have Weeks ready for the postseason, so with the benefit of a huge lead in the National League Central, the Brewers can afford to take it slow.
Weeks, who turns 29 next week, was batting .272/.346/.478 with 19 homers, 43 RBI, nine stolen bases and an .825 OPS over 469 plate appearances prior to the injury.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)