Sep 6, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
This season hasn’t been much fun for anyone involved with the Dodgers, but Rod Barajas has enjoyed his time in Los Angeles so much that the impending free agent catcher wants to re-sign.
“This is definitely a place I never want to leave,” Barajas told Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times. “If I could stick around with the Dodgers for the rest of my career, that is definitely what I want.”
At age 36 “the rest of my career” may not be more than a year or two, but do the Dodgers want Barajas back for even 2012?
They have a pair of cheap catching options in A.J. Ellis and Tim Federowicz who could save the Dodgers around $3 million compared to Barajas’ current salary. And while Barajas’ power is very hard to find at catcher his .236 batting average and .289 on-base percentage are among the worst in baseball and he’s thrown out just 24 percent of steal attempts.
If the Dodgers are looking to cut some more corners in 2012 catcher seems like an obvious spot.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)