Sep 6, 2011, 1:20 PM EST
Ryne Sandberg was the Pacific Coast League manager of the year in 2010, but left the Cubs organization after being passed over for the big-league managerial opening and spent this season managing at Triple-A for the Phillies.
Prior to Sandberg’s arrival Lehigh Valley had never finished above .500 since coming into existence in 2008, but he managed the IronPigs into the International League playoffs.
Sandberg’s previous success managing in the minors didn’t help him much when it came to landing a prominent spot on a major-league coaching staff, but at some point you’d think the Hall of Famer would get an opportunity. And with the Cubs firing general manager Jim Hendry and perhaps firing Mike Quade after the season Sandberg will probably be linked to that job again.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 67
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)