Sep 6, 2011, 2:30 PM EST
I hope you’re sitting down for this, but the Cardinals have a complaint about something. I know. I’m just as shocked as you are.
This time: the 3:15PM start time for the game against Milwaukee yesterday. Seems it created shadows that made it difficult for Cardinals hitters to pick up the ball. Albert Pujols and Matt Holliday said it was unfair for hitters on both teams. Holliday added that due to the shadows “if you’re not ahead in the third inning, if the hitters can’t see the ball, it makes for a noncompetitive game once the shadows set in.” Worth noting that the Brewer scored in the second, third, sixth and seventh innings.
To be fair, none of the Cardinals who spoke took anything away from Randy Wolf, who pitched brilliantly. And Ryan Braun commented on the shadows too, so it’s not like it’s your standard Tony La Russa-inspired complain-fest.
But still. Some days the wind blows in. Some days the marine layer settles in. Some days there are 3PM starts and vexing shadows fall across the field. Put your big boy pants on and deal with it.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (226)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)