Sep 6, 2011, 1:33 PM EDT
First Jim Crane was a shoe-in to be approved as the Astros’ next owner. Then it was suddenly on hold. Now the current owner keeps saying that approval will come any minute while rumors swirl that Crane’s bid is deader than vaudeville.
What gives? Maury Brown — who wrote the Forbes piece a while back that gave many of the owners pause to begin with — details the reasons why baseball’s owners are concerned about the Crane bid.
He may still be approved. Hell, it could happen this week. But know that there are real issues there and that, at least as far as we can tell, baseball’s ownership is wary of Frank McCourt Part II.
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69