Sep 6, 2011, 1:33 PM EDT
First Jim Crane was a shoe-in to be approved as the Astros’ next owner. Then it was suddenly on hold. Now the current owner keeps saying that approval will come any minute while rumors swirl that Crane’s bid is deader than vaudeville.
What gives? Maury Brown — who wrote the Forbes piece a while back that gave many of the owners pause to begin with — details the reasons why baseball’s owners are concerned about the Crane bid.
He may still be approved. Hell, it could happen this week. But know that there are real issues there and that, at least as far as we can tell, baseball’s ownership is wary of Frank McCourt Part II.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)