Sep 6, 2011, 1:33 PM EST
First Jim Crane was a shoe-in to be approved as the Astros’ next owner. Then it was suddenly on hold. Now the current owner keeps saying that approval will come any minute while rumors swirl that Crane’s bid is deader than vaudeville.
What gives? Maury Brown — who wrote the Forbes piece a while back that gave many of the owners pause to begin with — details the reasons why baseball’s owners are concerned about the Crane bid.
He may still be approved. Hell, it could happen this week. But know that there are real issues there and that, at least as far as we can tell, baseball’s ownership is wary of Frank McCourt Part II.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)