Sep 7, 2011, 9:40 AM EST
Question: do you really need a closer when you’re playing out the last three weeks of a lost season? Eh, probably so. If not, who would we yell at when games go south? If not, what would the guys who are somehow — against all odds — still paying close attention to their fantasy rosters do to pick up a cheap save here or there?
So yeah, you still probably need a closer. But for the Mets it may not be Bobby Parnell anymore. He blew a two-run lead in the ninth against the Marlins last night. The Mets still won, but Terry Collins is not content to stand pat at closer any longer:
Asked if it might be beneficial for Parnell to get some non-save opportunities in order to right himself with the game not on the line, Collins intimated that was the case.
“Well, we’re going to talk to Bobby tomorrow,” Collins said. “I mean, there’s a couple things (pitching coach) Dan (Warthen) had talked about with him, a couple of little pitch-location stuff that he’s just got to be able to make. He’s got to make some pitches.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 100
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)