Sep 7, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Actually, I could understand it better if it was the weather that was being complained about. In Mike Vaccaro’s column, however, there is this vague sense that all of the rain on the east coast — or at least the inconvenience it caused — was somehow Major League Baseball’s fault. That’s underscored by the headline — which Vaccaro likely did not write — which reads “Baseball really soaks fans this time.”
The stories from the fans who stuck out last night’s Yankees-Orioles game are interesting enough (note to Freddie Palmeiri: you either should have gone home with your girlfriend or else you should dump your girlfriend). But the “boy, they got you over a barrel” stuff in the piece is kind of misplaced in my view. Yes, the game was late and inconvenient and uncomfortable, and no, the Yankees did not stop selling merchandise and concessions to the people who stuck it out, but what’s the alternative? Cancel a game that, however crappy the conditions, ended up being able to be played? Screw with an already compacted schedule even more?
Now, don’t get me wrong: there is a bit of history in baseball — and I hear the Yankees have done this a lot on the past — of waiting and waiting and waiting to call games in order to collect as much parking and concession money as they can, even if they knew the game was going to be called. They did this to me at a spring training game in Tampa in 2010, and all the Yankees fans there knew what as goin’ on.
But that’s not what went down last night. And I’m not sure the Yankees or Major League Baseball could do anything other than simply play the game if it was able to be played. Which it was. Rain happens. Part of the deal, ya know?
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 25
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 42
- Rangers “close to getting” Phillies ace Cole Hamels 55
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 65
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)