Sep 7, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Actually, I could understand it better if it was the weather that was being complained about. In Mike Vaccaro’s column, however, there is this vague sense that all of the rain on the east coast — or at least the inconvenience it caused — was somehow Major League Baseball’s fault. That’s underscored by the headline — which Vaccaro likely did not write — which reads “Baseball really soaks fans this time.”
The stories from the fans who stuck out last night’s Yankees-Orioles game are interesting enough (note to Freddie Palmeiri: you either should have gone home with your girlfriend or else you should dump your girlfriend). But the “boy, they got you over a barrel” stuff in the piece is kind of misplaced in my view. Yes, the game was late and inconvenient and uncomfortable, and no, the Yankees did not stop selling merchandise and concessions to the people who stuck it out, but what’s the alternative? Cancel a game that, however crappy the conditions, ended up being able to be played? Screw with an already compacted schedule even more?
Now, don’t get me wrong: there is a bit of history in baseball — and I hear the Yankees have done this a lot on the past — of waiting and waiting and waiting to call games in order to collect as much parking and concession money as they can, even if they knew the game was going to be called. They did this to me at a spring training game in Tampa in 2010, and all the Yankees fans there knew what as goin’ on.
But that’s not what went down last night. And I’m not sure the Yankees or Major League Baseball could do anything other than simply play the game if it was able to be played. Which it was. Rain happens. Part of the deal, ya know?
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)