John Mayberry Jr.’s agents are trying to get him a date

Sep 7, 2011, 12:48 PM EST

Antoinette Nikprelaj

According to the New York Post the agents for Phillies rookie outfielder John Mayberry Jr. have been trying to get him a date with Antoinette Nikprelaj, an actress and model who played a mermaid in “Pirates of the Caribbean.”

Here’s the e-mail that Mayberry’s representatives at CAA apparently sent out to Nikprelaj’s agent on his behalf:

I imagine you’re familiar with CAA and some of our clients, as we work with Ryan Howard, Roy Halladay, Buster Posey and Andre Ethier among others. I hate to even be sending you this e-mail, and I’m quite embarrassed to say the least, but we have a young client on the Philadelphia Phillies who asked us if we knew any agents at Innovative Artists and could connect him to Antoinette Nikprelaj.

I know you’re not a dating or set-up service, but John Mayberry Jr. would love to meet Antoinette or invite her to a baseball game sometime. Would this be possible? Here’s a bio of John to give you some more info on him (he’s a great guy, down-to-earth, humble, Stanford-educated, etc.) Thanks for considering this as you know how this business is and servicing clients.

I need an agent.

UPDATE: Turns out Nikprelaj is married and has a daughter, so the degree of difficulty on Mayberry’s hookup has risen considerably.

1. wondroushippo - Sep 7, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Hey, we’re all just trying to get some strange on a Saturday night.

2. kopy - Sep 7, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Haha, awesome. Although, it’s a little surprising to me how awkward the CAA agent sounds. Truthfully, I would have assumed this kind of stuff happens all the time and therefore wouldn’t be that embarrassing. I trust status updates will be given as needed.

• cleverbob - Sep 7, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Scott Boras would have gotten it done, and discretely.

• wlschneider09 - Sep 7, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Nothing discrete about Boras

• bigleagues - Sep 7, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I agree. He would have had Nikprelaj’s agent sign a NDA before broaching the subject. And Boras knows better than to send an email about such potentially embarrassing exchanges.

3. kellyb9 - Sep 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM

@Aaron – What you forgot to mention is that she is also married and has kids. Awkard…

4. shaggylocks - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I hear Minka Kelly is available…

• cur68 - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Hands off Minka. My “agent” is in urgent communication with her. We expect a reply any day now. Any day.

• CJ - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:33 PM

beat me to it shaggy…well played good sir

• Old Gator - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Mayberry needs to learn to beg. I mean, beg, as in snivel. Women claim to be attracted to independence and confidence in men, but what they really want out of them is belly-up servility, paws neatly folded.

5. spikedavis44 - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM

I always find it ridiculous when famous athletes, movie stars etc. use their reps to contact potential hookups. It’s one thing if you are an A list movie star or world class athlete. John Mayberry isn’t in either of those categories. Coming from a Phillies fan, he is a late 20’s ballplayer who just hit his stride and is certainly not guaranteed stardom by any measure. His father was a good player a few decades back, but we aren’t talking the Griffeys’ or the Bonds’. No way this gal has ever heard of Mayberry. We all want to date the flavor the week supermodel/actress, but guys like Mayberry should stick to their station and focus on the local hotties who aren’t coveted by far more famous guys.

• skitchx48 - Sep 7, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Nice try, local hottie.

6. Jonny 5 - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:06 PM

This is a very creepy way to try and pick up a date. I would never have the nerve to be so creepy about things like this. He could have at least read her bio and found out she’s married with tots. * Craig Tiffany still hasn’t got back to me. Did you really give her my e-mail address?

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:10 PM

I think his agents maybe could have done some of that research for him. I mean, should they not have google searched her before sending out this awkward email? It took me all of 5 minutes to see that she was married at 18 and has a daughter who wants to be a mermaid too.

• kopy - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM

…maybe he doesn’t care that she’s married? Or even prefers it? Am I the only one thinking that? Obviously it’s wrong, immoral, and shouldn’t be done. But in light of recent Tiger Woods-like events, I wouldn’t be surprised.

• Alex K - Sep 7, 2011 at 2:05 PM

kopy – Tiger Woods wasn’t even one of the first million athletes to participate in some type of extramarital affair. I don’t think we can hang this one on him.

• kopy - Sep 7, 2011 at 2:15 PM

You’re right. I only threw out the name in case people didn’t think this type of stuff goes on. I probably shouldn’t have. But the fact that he wasn’t even part of the first million helps make my point that Mayberry could very well not care if this woman is married.

• Alex K - Sep 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM

I took you to mean that you thought Tiger’s situation was new or different than the norm.

7. halladaysbiceps - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Mayberry Jr., there’s plenty of time for this love crap in the off-season. Your mind needs to be in the game of baseball right now, focusing on helping the Phillies to another World Series.

Be a real man and get a girlfriend in the off-season without help from your agents.

8. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I told everyone that pie is better than cake, but no, you wouldn’t listen.

9. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I like the moxie of Mayberry Jr. Hey, got to aim high right. I don’t think her husband will approve of this however. Also, he has to be really embarrassed that this leaked to the press.

10. phukyouk - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:11 PM

this is what really happened ( sorry for the bad quality)

11. pkers - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:15 PM

IF this is legit, then that agent is probably getting his/her ass chewed out and/or fired for letting the email get leaked, but more importantly, casting his/her client in a bad light.

• cur68 - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Nah. This looks bad for Jr. not the young lady. This is free publicity for her, man. All of Philly nation now knows of her. Granted this means she’ll be getting more awkward “reach over another man’s fence” kind of invitations but she’ll also probably get some job looks out of it, too.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Ok, this looks bad for JMJ….but the conversation probably went something like this:
        Upon seeing the movie,
        JMJ: Wow, that mermaid is gorgeous
        Agent: Yeah, I can probably hook you up if you want
        JMJ: You guys do that kind of stuff
        Agent: Yeah, all the time. We even hooked up Delonte with Lebron’s mom.
        JMJ: Ok, invite her to a game or something.
        Agent proceeds to send out awkward email without doing due diligence.

• pkers - Sep 7, 2011 at 2:20 PM

cur68, I was referring to Mayberry’s agent, not Antoinette’s. JMJ’s agent, if he/she really sent this out, should be pleading forgiveness from CCA and JMJ for putting JMJ in such a bad light. A real agent would’ve painted a much better picture of him.
        Also, everytime I see “JMJ”, I think of the episodes of Homicide: LOTS and the serial killer Annabella Wilgis…Jesus. Mary. Joseph. God, Pembleton rocked.

• cur68 - Sep 7, 2011 at 3:08 PM

pkers; Agree. Anyone need an incompetent agent? I bet I know one that’ll be on the market soon.

• kellyb9 - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Yeah it really is amazing that this got out in the manner that it did. I’m guessing that his represenation isn’t the A level agents that a superstar might have but maybe the mid-tier guys trying to get to the next level. That being the case, I think this guy just struck out.

12. Old Gator - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:29 PM

She looks a lot like what’s-her-name from the original TV series Charlie’s Angels, doesn’t she? Maybe they’re just recycling her physiognomic template down at the Idoru factory.

• APBA Guy - Sep 7, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Jackie Smith had more work, OG, and was more polished. Antoinette has a series of snaps at IMDB. You can draw your own conclusions.

• Old Gator - Sep 7, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Yeah, let’s face it – we don’t ask for much substance from our celebrities anymore, just like our politicians.

13. bdawk20 - Sep 7, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Well, it’s better than JMJ texting her a photo of his JMJJ.

14. a125125125 - Sep 7, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Why would he need to take such drastic measures to meet an attractive woman when so mean beautiful young ladies attend Phillies games? Oh, hang on…..I can understand his predicament completely. CBP has less attractive ladies than a comic book show held during a SABRmetrics conference.

15. kingjoe1 - Sep 7, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I would fire my agent

16. 12strikes - Sep 7, 2011 at 3:19 PM

If he needs to hook up with gals, he need to enroll in the “U”

17. pastortodd78 - Sep 7, 2011 at 3:49 PM

At least he did not go the Roy Williams route and mail her a $10 million engagement ring with a video taped proposal.

Also is he agent Hitch?

This is just comedy!

18. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 7, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Please oh please keep that chick’s face in the “top posts” section for the rest of…eternity. It’s all about the web traffic baby…and chicks….chicks, man…

19. bigleagues - Sep 7, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Considering my chosen alias, I suppose its “big leaguing” it when a pro athlete puts his agent to work on his behalf to score a date with a hot actress . . . but I actually hate this shit.

Hey Mayberry – get a big hit in a big moment during the playoffs. Then when your name is being said by every talking head in the country, and your name is at the top of the Yahoo login page . . . place a call to the target of your desires YOURSELF.

“Here’s a bio of John to give you some more info on him (he’s a great guy, down-to-earth, humble, Stanford-educated, etc.) Thanks for considering this as you know how this business is and servicing clients.”

1) yeah, because its so very humble to have your agent call an actress agent to set up a ‘date’.

2) If I were Mayberry I’d not only be embarrassed about this (especially considering she’s married with child), I’d fire CAA, and deny that I made the request. Then hire Scott Boras (who would also make sure there was no paper trail to be ‘leaked’ out, making his client look bad).

Now THAT would be “big leaguin'”!

20. bigleagues - Sep 7, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I got a fresh suggestion for JM Smoove . . . Miss Columbia!

Apparently, she’s been walking around the Miss Universe pageant pantiless.And that is a subtle, yet definitive qualification for dating any big leaguer. Hell, I’ve already got my agent tracking down her number :-)

21. kcq101 - Sep 7, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Apparently this is how Andy Roddick landed Brooklyn frigging’ “Helen of Troy” Decker. His agent called her agent. Game. Set. Match. Andy doesn’t need to win another major as long as he’s forehanding(gently) that in the evenings.

So as offputting as this type of courtship may seem, it’s proven and seemingly accepted in the stardomsphere of models, actors, athletes and sports-blog commenters. I hope that there is a team at CAA specifically designated to set up their clients with models, atheletes, actresses, etc.

Now back to my Craigslist post….”You be my Mermaid and I’ll be your Mayberry”…

22. kiwicricket - Sep 7, 2011 at 9:11 PM

How old is this guy??? Time to find out that women are monsters all by yourself big fella.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester