Sep 7, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
The win was Verlander’s 10th in 10 starts. It’s the longest such streak with no losses or no decisions since Arizona’s Brandon Webb won 11 in a row from Sept. 22, 2007-May 15, 2008.
The longest streak since 2000 belongs to Johan Santana, who ran off 12 straight victories for the Twins from July 27-Sept. 24, 2004.
Verlander’s streak doesn’t quite measure up to Santana’s. Today’s was the third outing in the stretch in which he gave up four runs. He has a 2.75 ERA in his 10 wins (his ERA was actually lower back when he was 12-5). Santana had a 1.28 ERA during his streak, and Webb was at 2.58 during his.
Of course, Santana was just flat-out awesome the second half of 2004. Including his two starts against the Yankees in the postseason, he went 15-0 in a span of 18 starts and allowed just one run in each of the three no-decisions.
It’s clear now that Verlander is going to cruise to his first Cy Young Award, and he pretty obviously deserves it. He’s overtaken Jered Weaver for the AL lead in ERA at 2.44, leaving him slightly ahead of Weaver and Josh Beckett at 2.49. He already has the other two portions of the pitching triple crown pretty much locked up. He has three more wins than CC Sabathia in second place, and with eight strikeouts today, he’s 21 ahead of Sabathia and Felix Hernandez (232-211).
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 36
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 44
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)