Sep 7, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT
5:53 p.m. EDT update: No no-no this afternoon. Moscoso got Jeff Francoeur to line out and struck out Mitch Maier to begin the eighth, but Royals catcher Salvador Perez battled back after an 0-2 count and singled with two outs to break up the bid.
Moscoso retired Mike Moustakas afterwards, and he may still get a chance to go for his first complete game and shutout. He’s at 106 pitches after eight.
6:25 p.m. EDT update: Unfortunately, Moscoso ended up getting removed after a Scott Sizemore error put a second runner on base with two outs in the ninth. Fautino De Los Santos came in and retired Eric Hosmer to end the game at 7-0. If not for the error, Moscoso would have had his first career complete game and shutout. He settled instead for the win, moving him to 8-8 with a 3.34 ERA.
A’s right-hander Guillermo Moscoso has pitched seven hitless innings and faced just one batter over the minimum in Wednesday’s game against the Royals.
Moscoso, 27, is making his 18th big-league start and is 7-8 with a 3.63 ERA for the A’s this season. He pitched briefly for the Rangers in 2009 and ’10 before being designated for assignment and getting acquired in a minor trade by Oakland last winter.
Aside from a walk to Alcides Escobar in the sixth, Moscoso has been perfect in this one. He’s struck out three. Oakland had a 7-0 lead and he’s thrown a modest 90 pitches, so there won’t be any reason for the A’s to pull him until he gives up a hit.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)