Sep 7, 2011, 5:45 PM EST
5:53 p.m. EDT update: No no-no this afternoon. Moscoso got Jeff Francoeur to line out and struck out Mitch Maier to begin the eighth, but Royals catcher Salvador Perez battled back after an 0-2 count and singled with two outs to break up the bid.
Moscoso retired Mike Moustakas afterwards, and he may still get a chance to go for his first complete game and shutout. He’s at 106 pitches after eight.
6:25 p.m. EDT update: Unfortunately, Moscoso ended up getting removed after a Scott Sizemore error put a second runner on base with two outs in the ninth. Fautino De Los Santos came in and retired Eric Hosmer to end the game at 7-0. If not for the error, Moscoso would have had his first career complete game and shutout. He settled instead for the win, moving him to 8-8 with a 3.34 ERA.
A’s right-hander Guillermo Moscoso has pitched seven hitless innings and faced just one batter over the minimum in Wednesday’s game against the Royals.
Moscoso, 27, is making his 18th big-league start and is 7-8 with a 3.63 ERA for the A’s this season. He pitched briefly for the Rangers in 2009 and ’10 before being designated for assignment and getting acquired in a minor trade by Oakland last winter.
Aside from a walk to Alcides Escobar in the sixth, Moscoso has been perfect in this one. He’s struck out three. Oakland had a 7-0 lead and he’s thrown a modest 90 pitches, so there won’t be any reason for the A’s to pull him until he gives up a hit.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)