Oakland’s Guillermo Moscoso loses no-hitter in eighth

Sep 7, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT

Guillermo Moscoso AP

5:53 p.m. EDT update: No no-no this afternoon.  Moscoso got Jeff Francoeur to line out and struck out Mitch Maier to begin the eighth, but Royals catcher Salvador Perez battled back after an 0-2 count and singled with two outs to break up the bid.

Moscoso retired Mike Moustakas afterwards, and he may still get a chance to go for his first complete game and shutout.  He’s at 106 pitches after eight.

6:25 p.m. EDT update: Unfortunately, Moscoso ended up getting removed after a Scott Sizemore error put a second runner on base with two outs in the ninth.  Fautino De Los Santos came in and retired Eric Hosmer to end the game at 7-0.  If not for the error, Moscoso would have had his first career complete game and shutout.  He settled instead for the win, moving him to 8-8 with a 3.34 ERA.

///

A’s right-hander Guillermo Moscoso has pitched seven hitless innings and faced just one batter over the minimum in Wednesday’s game against the Royals.

Moscoso, 27, is making his 18th big-league start and is 7-8 with a 3.63 ERA for the A’s this season.  He pitched briefly for the Rangers in 2009 and ’10 before being designated for assignment and getting acquired in a minor trade by Oakland last winter.

Aside from a walk to Alcides Escobar in the sixth, Moscoso has been perfect in this one.  He’s struck out three.  Oakland had a 7-0 lead and he’s thrown a modest 90 pitches, so there won’t be any reason for the A’s to pull him until he gives up a hit.

1. halladaysbiceps - Sep 7, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Deja Vu all over again. I hope he keeps the no-no and isn’t jinxed:

2. sportsdrenched.com - Sep 7, 2011 at 5:54 PM

jinxed, Salvador Perez singles.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 7, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Sportsdrenched, truce?

• sportsdrenched.com - Sep 7, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I was at Royals-Red Sox game at the K a few year ago and I jawing with this huge Boston Firefighter. He was two rows in front of me. After the game we met in the isle and he gave me a big hug and said that was the most fun he’d had at a baseball game.

truce. Don’t think I was ever upset in the first place. Sports is supposed to be fun, and jawing at each other is part of that fun.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 7, 2011 at 6:10 PM

I agree, Sportsdrenched. I think going back and forth is part of the fun. But, with your chip on the shoulder comment to me this morning, I thought that you had it out for me as a commenter. I guess you clarified it for me.

• cur68 - Sep 7, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Sally’s pretty good, eh? Quick as a cat behind the plate and can hit juuuuuust a little too.

• clydeserra - Sep 7, 2011 at 6:03 PM

should check out his block of the plate in the first. Highlight on Gameday

• cur68 - Sep 7, 2011 at 6:54 PM

DAMN that lad’s good. Now I’m just praying that KC keeps this kid and doesn’t do some damn fool thing like trade him to the Universe for Fat Bart, Joba and Grumpy.

• sportsdrenched.com - Sep 7, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Yes, Perez tore up the Cactus League and none of us fans expected him with the big club this year. But I’m glad he’s here, if he stays healthy.

There were some excellent defensive plays by the Royals that are going to get over shadowed here. Frenchy got a 9-3 put out. That’s Xbox type stuff.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate