Sep 7, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
6:00 p.m. EDT update: Mother nature overruled MLB.
Tonight’s game between the Dodgers and Nationals in D.C. is again off, the Nationals announced. A split doubleheader will be played Thursday.
Both teams had agreed to call it off hours ago, but MLB intervened and insisted that the Nationals wait before calling it. With the forecast for the game still looking terrible, the Nationals got permission to postpone the game just before 6 p.m. local time.
The Dodgers announced this afternoon that Wednesday night’s game against the Nationals in D.C. had been postponed due to rain and would be made up as part of a doubleheader Thursday. Nats manager Davey Johnson confirmed it, and players tweeted to the same effect.
But the game is, for the moment anyway, still on. The Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore reports that MLB stepped in and ordered the Nationals to try to get the game in tonight.
Kilgore adds that GM Mike Rizzo has been in communication with Joe Torre in the league office about the situation. Apparently, MLB is none too happy with some of the early calls on rainouts lately, even though the early calls make it easier for fans set to go to the game.
So, the two sides will at least try to play tonight. Dana Eveland and Chien-Ming Wang are the scheduled starters.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)