Sep 7, 2011, 6:00 PM EST
6:00 p.m. EDT update: Mother nature overruled MLB.
Tonight’s game between the Dodgers and Nationals in D.C. is again off, the Nationals announced. A split doubleheader will be played Thursday.
Both teams had agreed to call it off hours ago, but MLB intervened and insisted that the Nationals wait before calling it. With the forecast for the game still looking terrible, the Nationals got permission to postpone the game just before 6 p.m. local time.
The Dodgers announced this afternoon that Wednesday night’s game against the Nationals in D.C. had been postponed due to rain and would be made up as part of a doubleheader Thursday. Nats manager Davey Johnson confirmed it, and players tweeted to the same effect.
But the game is, for the moment anyway, still on. The Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore reports that MLB stepped in and ordered the Nationals to try to get the game in tonight.
Kilgore adds that GM Mike Rizzo has been in communication with Joe Torre in the league office about the situation. Apparently, MLB is none too happy with some of the early calls on rainouts lately, even though the early calls make it easier for fans set to go to the game.
So, the two sides will at least try to play tonight. Dana Eveland and Chien-Ming Wang are the scheduled starters.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)