Sep 7, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
6:00 p.m. EDT update: Mother nature overruled MLB.
Tonight’s game between the Dodgers and Nationals in D.C. is again off, the Nationals announced. A split doubleheader will be played Thursday.
Both teams had agreed to call it off hours ago, but MLB intervened and insisted that the Nationals wait before calling it. With the forecast for the game still looking terrible, the Nationals got permission to postpone the game just before 6 p.m. local time.
The Dodgers announced this afternoon that Wednesday night’s game against the Nationals in D.C. had been postponed due to rain and would be made up as part of a doubleheader Thursday. Nats manager Davey Johnson confirmed it, and players tweeted to the same effect.
But the game is, for the moment anyway, still on. The Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore reports that MLB stepped in and ordered the Nationals to try to get the game in tonight.
Kilgore adds that GM Mike Rizzo has been in communication with Joe Torre in the league office about the situation. Apparently, MLB is none too happy with some of the early calls on rainouts lately, even though the early calls make it easier for fans set to go to the game.
So, the two sides will at least try to play tonight. Dana Eveland and Chien-Ming Wang are the scheduled starters.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 0
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 21
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)