Sep 7, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
Rookie outfielder Desmond Jennings entered his at-bat in the 10th inning Wednesday in a 4-for-38 slump that dropped his average from .354 to .298. He promptly pounded the very first pitch he saw over the wall in left to give the Rays a 5-4 victory over the Rangers.
The Rays managed to take two out of three from Texas to keep their slim postseason hopes alive. It was also the 1,000th victory opposite 1,245 losses in franchise history.
This was a game that Tampa Bay probably shouldn’t have won. The Rangers had 12 hits to the Rays’ seven and three homers to the Rays’ two. The walks were even at three apiece, and Rangers pitchers racked up 11 strikeouts to Tampa Bay’s eight.
The problem was that Texas left 11 men on base. All three of the Rangers’ homers were solo shots. Ian Kinsler had two of them, including a game-tying blast off Kyle Farnsworth in the top of the ninth. Mike Napoli had four hits, but the only one that drove in a run was his solo homer.
The win makes the Rays’ 78-64, leaving them 7 1/2 games back of the Red Sox in the wild card pending Boston’s result tonight. They’ll have a big chance to make up ground when they play the Red Sox this weekend.
The Rangers are three games up on the Angels in the AL West.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)