Sep 7, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
Ryan Spilborghs spent nearly all of August on the disabled list with plantar fasciitis and then aggravated the foot injury in his third game back Monday, with the Rockies announcing the outfielder will miss the remainder of the season.
Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post reports that Spilborghs has been playing through the injury since May, which perhaps explains why he hit just .210 with a .588 OPS in 98 games after coming into the season as a career .281 hitter with a .794 OPS.
Spilborghs is under team control in 2012 via arbitration, but the Rockies will have to decide whether he’s worth keeping around as a backup outfielder for $2 million or so.
- Report: Cuban free agent infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 0
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 11
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 9
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 138
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (138)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)