Sep 7, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Ryan Spilborghs spent nearly all of August on the disabled list with plantar fasciitis and then aggravated the foot injury in his third game back Monday, with the Rockies announcing the outfielder will miss the remainder of the season.
Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post reports that Spilborghs has been playing through the injury since May, which perhaps explains why he hit just .210 with a .588 OPS in 98 games after coming into the season as a career .281 hitter with a .794 OPS.
Spilborghs is under team control in 2012 via arbitration, but the Rockies will have to decide whether he’s worth keeping around as a backup outfielder for $2 million or so.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?