Sep 7, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Ryan Spilborghs spent nearly all of August on the disabled list with plantar fasciitis and then aggravated the foot injury in his third game back Monday, with the Rockies announcing the outfielder will miss the remainder of the season.
Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post reports that Spilborghs has been playing through the injury since May, which perhaps explains why he hit just .210 with a .588 OPS in 98 games after coming into the season as a career .281 hitter with a .794 OPS.
Spilborghs is under team control in 2012 via arbitration, but the Rockies will have to decide whether he’s worth keeping around as a backup outfielder for $2 million or so.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 9
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)