Sep 7, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Ryan Spilborghs spent nearly all of August on the disabled list with plantar fasciitis and then aggravated the foot injury in his third game back Monday, with the Rockies announcing the outfielder will miss the remainder of the season.
Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post reports that Spilborghs has been playing through the injury since May, which perhaps explains why he hit just .210 with a .588 OPS in 98 games after coming into the season as a career .281 hitter with a .794 OPS.
Spilborghs is under team control in 2012 via arbitration, but the Rockies will have to decide whether he’s worth keeping around as a backup outfielder for $2 million or so.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)