Sep 7, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Ryan Spilborghs spent nearly all of August on the disabled list with plantar fasciitis and then aggravated the foot injury in his third game back Monday, with the Rockies announcing the outfielder will miss the remainder of the season.
Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post reports that Spilborghs has been playing through the injury since May, which perhaps explains why he hit just .210 with a .588 OPS in 98 games after coming into the season as a career .281 hitter with a .794 OPS.
Spilborghs is under team control in 2012 via arbitration, but the Rockies will have to decide whether he’s worth keeping around as a backup outfielder for $2 million or so.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11