Sep 7, 2011, 9:15 AM EST
These aren’t major moves, but they’re the kind of day-to-day things that keep baseball teams up and running: the Marlins have named a new Special Assistant to the President of Baseball Operations, a new Vice President of Scouting and a new Vice President of Player Development. They are, respectively, Jim Fleming, Stan Meek and Marty Scott.
Fleming and Meek are longtime Marlins front office types simply changing jobs. Scott spent the last three years as the manager of the Lincoln Saltdogs of the Independent American Association, and before that spent 34 years working in baseball, most notably as the Rangers Director of Player Development from 1985-1994.
Uber-Marlins fans may have some insight as to the where and the why of these moves. Some more insight can be gained from Larry Beinfest’s blog post. Upshot: the Marlins just want to get a bit better in the draft, scouting, etc.
My takeaway: while the Marlins’ ownership is a hot mess, Florida has long had some pretty darn competent men manning the baseball operations side of things. These are the people who have so often squeezed more out of their roster and payroll than anyone thought they could. One may presume that this kind of rejiggering of jobs that most people don’t pay any attention to contributes to that sort of thing.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)