Sep 7, 2011, 9:15 AM EST
These aren’t major moves, but they’re the kind of day-to-day things that keep baseball teams up and running: the Marlins have named a new Special Assistant to the President of Baseball Operations, a new Vice President of Scouting and a new Vice President of Player Development. They are, respectively, Jim Fleming, Stan Meek and Marty Scott.
Fleming and Meek are longtime Marlins front office types simply changing jobs. Scott spent the last three years as the manager of the Lincoln Saltdogs of the Independent American Association, and before that spent 34 years working in baseball, most notably as the Rangers Director of Player Development from 1985-1994.
Uber-Marlins fans may have some insight as to the where and the why of these moves. Some more insight can be gained from Larry Beinfest’s blog post. Upshot: the Marlins just want to get a bit better in the draft, scouting, etc.
My takeaway: while the Marlins’ ownership is a hot mess, Florida has long had some pretty darn competent men manning the baseball operations side of things. These are the people who have so often squeezed more out of their roster and payroll than anyone thought they could. One may presume that this kind of rejiggering of jobs that most people don’t pay any attention to contributes to that sort of thing.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 77
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 41
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (86)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)