Sep 7, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
These aren’t major moves, but they’re the kind of day-to-day things that keep baseball teams up and running: the Marlins have named a new Special Assistant to the President of Baseball Operations, a new Vice President of Scouting and a new Vice President of Player Development. They are, respectively, Jim Fleming, Stan Meek and Marty Scott.
Fleming and Meek are longtime Marlins front office types simply changing jobs. Scott spent the last three years as the manager of the Lincoln Saltdogs of the Independent American Association, and before that spent 34 years working in baseball, most notably as the Rangers Director of Player Development from 1985-1994.
Uber-Marlins fans may have some insight as to the where and the why of these moves. Some more insight can be gained from Larry Beinfest’s blog post. Upshot: the Marlins just want to get a bit better in the draft, scouting, etc.
My takeaway: while the Marlins’ ownership is a hot mess, Florida has long had some pretty darn competent men manning the baseball operations side of things. These are the people who have so often squeezed more out of their roster and payroll than anyone thought they could. One may presume that this kind of rejiggering of jobs that most people don’t pay any attention to contributes to that sort of thing.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 34
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 84
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)