Sep 7, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
These aren’t major moves, but they’re the kind of day-to-day things that keep baseball teams up and running: the Marlins have named a new Special Assistant to the President of Baseball Operations, a new Vice President of Scouting and a new Vice President of Player Development. They are, respectively, Jim Fleming, Stan Meek and Marty Scott.
Fleming and Meek are longtime Marlins front office types simply changing jobs. Scott spent the last three years as the manager of the Lincoln Saltdogs of the Independent American Association, and before that spent 34 years working in baseball, most notably as the Rangers Director of Player Development from 1985-1994.
Uber-Marlins fans may have some insight as to the where and the why of these moves. Some more insight can be gained from Larry Beinfest’s blog post. Upshot: the Marlins just want to get a bit better in the draft, scouting, etc.
My takeaway: while the Marlins’ ownership is a hot mess, Florida has long had some pretty darn competent men manning the baseball operations side of things. These are the people who have so often squeezed more out of their roster and payroll than anyone thought they could. One may presume that this kind of rejiggering of jobs that most people don’t pay any attention to contributes to that sort of thing.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 11
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 49
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)