Sep 7, 2011, 12:12 AM EST
After a rain delay of four hours and three minutes, the Yankees and Orioles finally began play right around 11 p.m. ET at Yankee Stadium.
It would be one thing if it the rain had stopped, but it hasn’t. In fact, it’s still pouring pretty consistently.
Yankee Stadium looks a lot like the crowd you’d normally see at Sun Life Stadium, but the Yankees were desperate to get this one in. The alternatives included either rescheduling the game as part of a split-doubleheader on Wednesday or perhaps moving the game to a mutual off-day on September 15. Of course, September 15 is the last off-day the Yankees have this season, so they wanted to avoid that at all costs. They would also be en route from Seattle to Toronto, so it would probably be unrealistic. The only other option would be to play the game after the season, if necessary.
Given the drama in Baltimore leading up to Hurricane Irene, many may say the Yankees are doing this to get back at the Orioles. The ironic part is that this Thursday would have been an open day on the calendar had the two teams played a doubleheader on the Friday in advance of the storm. Instead, they’ll be playing the disputed makeup game from August 27. Oh well.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 118
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (118)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)