Sep 7, 2011, 12:12 AM EDT
After a rain delay of four hours and three minutes, the Yankees and Orioles finally began play right around 11 p.m. ET at Yankee Stadium.
It would be one thing if it the rain had stopped, but it hasn’t. In fact, it’s still pouring pretty consistently.
Yankee Stadium looks a lot like the crowd you’d normally see at Sun Life Stadium, but the Yankees were desperate to get this one in. The alternatives included either rescheduling the game as part of a split-doubleheader on Wednesday or perhaps moving the game to a mutual off-day on September 15. Of course, September 15 is the last off-day the Yankees have this season, so they wanted to avoid that at all costs. They would also be en route from Seattle to Toronto, so it would probably be unrealistic. The only other option would be to play the game after the season, if necessary.
Given the drama in Baltimore leading up to Hurricane Irene, many may say the Yankees are doing this to get back at the Orioles. The ironic part is that this Thursday would have been an open day on the calendar had the two teams played a doubleheader on the Friday in advance of the storm. Instead, they’ll be playing the disputed makeup game from August 27. Oh well.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)