Sep 7, 2011, 12:12 AM EST
After a rain delay of four hours and three minutes, the Yankees and Orioles finally began play right around 11 p.m. ET at Yankee Stadium.
It would be one thing if it the rain had stopped, but it hasn’t. In fact, it’s still pouring pretty consistently.
Yankee Stadium looks a lot like the crowd you’d normally see at Sun Life Stadium, but the Yankees were desperate to get this one in. The alternatives included either rescheduling the game as part of a split-doubleheader on Wednesday or perhaps moving the game to a mutual off-day on September 15. Of course, September 15 is the last off-day the Yankees have this season, so they wanted to avoid that at all costs. They would also be en route from Seattle to Toronto, so it would probably be unrealistic. The only other option would be to play the game after the season, if necessary.
Given the drama in Baltimore leading up to Hurricane Irene, many may say the Yankees are doing this to get back at the Orioles. The ironic part is that this Thursday would have been an open day on the calendar had the two teams played a doubleheader on the Friday in advance of the storm. Instead, they’ll be playing the disputed makeup game from August 27. Oh well.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)