Sep 7, 2011, 12:12 AM EDT
After a rain delay of four hours and three minutes, the Yankees and Orioles finally began play right around 11 p.m. ET at Yankee Stadium.
It would be one thing if it the rain had stopped, but it hasn’t. In fact, it’s still pouring pretty consistently.
Yankee Stadium looks a lot like the crowd you’d normally see at Sun Life Stadium, but the Yankees were desperate to get this one in. The alternatives included either rescheduling the game as part of a split-doubleheader on Wednesday or perhaps moving the game to a mutual off-day on September 15. Of course, September 15 is the last off-day the Yankees have this season, so they wanted to avoid that at all costs. They would also be en route from Seattle to Toronto, so it would probably be unrealistic. The only other option would be to play the game after the season, if necessary.
Given the drama in Baltimore leading up to Hurricane Irene, many may say the Yankees are doing this to get back at the Orioles. The ironic part is that this Thursday would have been an open day on the calendar had the two teams played a doubleheader on the Friday in advance of the storm. Instead, they’ll be playing the disputed makeup game from August 27. Oh well.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)