Sep 8, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT
In what should come as a surprise to no one, the Giants weren’t able to trade Aaron Rowand or Miguel Tejada after designating both for assignment. The pair were placed on release waivers Thursday, the San Francisco Chronicle’s Henry Schulman reports.
Both players figure to become free agents Monday, allowing them to sign with teams. There may not be any demand for Tejada at all, but Rowand is sure to get several calls. That’s partly because Rowand will merely have to be paid the minimum next year, with the Giants on the hook for the remaining $11.6 million of his $12 million salary.
There’s already been some speculation that the Phillies will bring Rowand back. They could use a true backup center fielder, and Rowand has warm memories from his time in Philly. However, Rowand might be able to find a bigger role. The Phillies already have a fine fourth outfielder for this year and next in John Mayberry Jr., and Rowand would really only be useful to the team when Shane Victorino is hurt.
Of course, neither player will be eligible for the postseason this season. The Giants saw to that when they waited as long as they did to cut bait.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)