Carl Everett arrested on domestic violence charges

Sep 8, 2011, 10:36 PM EST

carl everett red sox Getty Images

Another sad turn in the life of Carl Everett.

According to Kevin Boie of KDFW in Dallas, with a hat tip to Deadspin, the former big league outfielder was arrested in Colleyville, Texas earlier this month after an emergency 911 call was made at 5:30 a.m. from his 5,800 square-foot family home.

Not many details have yet been made available, but Everett was accused of assaulting and injuring an unidentified family member, and was eventually taken into police custody. The 40-year-old has six children and has been married to his current wife for close to 20 years.

Everett was arrested earlier this year for pointing a gun at his wife’s head during an argument and was accused in 1997 of “excessively” slapping one of his daughters. He retired from the game of baseball in 2010 after spending a handful of seasons with the independent Long Island Ducks and Newark Bears.

1. Gordon - Sep 8, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I don’t know about you guys, but I find that holding a gun to my wife’s head is the only way I can get her to listen to me.

• stumblebum76 - Sep 9, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I Know. I have the same problem. Seems like people would understand that, unless they have never been married.

2. nocryinginbaseball07 - Sep 8, 2011 at 11:39 PM

His “current” wife? After pointing a gun at her head? Awesome.

3. phukyouk - Sep 8, 2011 at 11:47 PM

2nd most hated red sox player EVER!

4. dirtyharry1971 - Sep 9, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Easily one of my all time favorite redsuk players

5. max - Sep 9, 2011 at 12:45 AM

His wife shouldn’t have mouthed off about how dinosaurs were real.

6. bigharold - Sep 9, 2011 at 1:17 AM

This stuff isn’t funny. Somebodies family is involved here. You want to make light of Everett or his beliefs fine bit this situation isn’t funny.

Everett always seemed like he was wrapped a little too tight so I understand to a point but leave his family out of it.

7. pisano - Sep 9, 2011 at 2:36 AM

To be honest, I’m surprised he hadn’t been put away for murder long ago. I always said this scumbag was destine for prison.

8. stackers1 - Sep 9, 2011 at 7:49 AM

I agree with pisano. This guy is Nuckin’ Futs! Has been for years.

9. kirschmania - Sep 9, 2011 at 8:40 AM

same guy that believes dinosaurs never existed and we never landed on the moon. dude’s hilarious.

• thefalcon123 - Sep 9, 2011 at 9:40 AM

His exact quote was:
      “God created the sun, the stars, the heavens and the earth, and then made Adam and Eve. The Bible never says anything about dinosaurs. You can’t say there were dinosaurs when you never saw them. Someone actually saw Adam and Eve. No one ever saw a Tyrannosaurus rex.”

I love his reasoning. People actually *saw* Adam and Eve, but not dinosaurs. ‘Cause, you know, Adam and Eve were really popular around town and everyone knew them.

Also, I’ve never seen oxygen and it’s not mentioned in the bible either, so I guess that is just another myth propagated by Big Science aid in the sale of microscopes and Bunson burners and all that other witchcraft nonsense.

10. jhorton83 - Sep 9, 2011 at 11:43 AM

He’s a moron of the highest order and always has been, which is normally amusing except when said moron also happens to have anger management problems. Stupidity and a propensity for violence is a very bad combination, although very common unfortunately.

• The Baseball Idiot - Sep 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I’m not going to defend Everett for what he’s done. I have no tolerance for abuse of women. But calling him stupid for his religious beliefs is wrong.

I don’t believe what he believes, and I think he’s wrong. But I grew up around that church mentality, and all it stands for. Believing stuff like this makes him misguided and ignorant of reality. Bu it doesn’t make him stupid.

Religious people are not stupid because of what they believe. They just live in a different world than the rest of us.

Name calling doesn’t make you better than him.

11. bobwsc - Sep 9, 2011 at 3:10 PM

why haven’t the kids been removed from the house? if the wife wants to stay and put up with this crap, that’s on her. wait – how is he not in jail if for putting a gun to someone’s head?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester