Sep 8, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
At least for now. He’s bring moved aside in favor of lefty Jeff Locke.
I realize that this of little interest to non-Pirates fans and non-fantasy players (uber deep league fantasy players if guys like Morton and Locke are implicated), but a story like this interest me because they shows us just how damn long the baseball season is.
Remember back in April how Charlie Morton was doing so well? How he had turned it all around because he re-did his delivery to ape Roy Halladay? And it worked for a while too. Yet here we are now in September and Morton’s stuggles are being attributed to his delivery being weird to him and his body suffering as a result.
Better to have a little success for a while than none at all, and it’s possible, of course, that Morton will figure it out again. But man, there is just nowhere to hide in a 162-game season. Over time, the truth, often the painful truth, comes out.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 34
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)