Chase Utley out this weekend due to mild concussion

Sep 8, 2011, 9:13 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Florida Marlins Getty Images

From Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer comes word that Phillies second baseman Chase Utley has been ruled out of this weekend’s series against the Brewers due to a mild concussion.

Utley suffered the slight head injury on Wednesday night when he was struck in the batting helmet by an Eric O’Flaherty pitch. He’s not in any kind of pain, but the first-place Phillies have the luxury of playing this one as safe as they could possibly desire.

That’s what a 10-game lead will do for you.

Utley won’t take his IMPACT concussion test for another two days. If he passes — and it sure sounds like he will — the 32-year-old should be cleared to return to the Philadelphia starting lineup in time for Monday night’s series opener against the Astros.

Utley is batting .262/.344/.441 with 10 home runs and 41 RBI in 393 plate appearances this season.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 8, 2011 at 9:48 PM

It was really weird on the broadcast this evening. Wheels made a point of saying a few times that Utley did not have a headache yesterday, he just didn’t feel as well as when he started the game. It was pretty clear that somebody, the trainer probably, wanted him to drive home that point.

2. deathmonkey41 - Sep 8, 2011 at 10:15 PM

His hair didn’t protect him?

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 8, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I think it was the reason he wasn’t knocked unconscious.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Sorry, but until Chase is back on the field, I’m having trouble being optimistic about this. I just feel like concussions are so unpredictable, with guys like Morneau missing an entire season just about, that this is something that may linger throughout the playoffs.

In the meantime, Hamels is giving the Brewers a preview of what is going to happen to them in the NLCS. Yeah, they have a great home record…but they haven’t played the Phillies yet. Morgan was just thrown out at first by half a step and he whined and cried like he was safe by a mile. He’s just a bad guy any way you look at it.

• bigxrob - Sep 8, 2011 at 10:38 PM

I read where the brewers had had the third easiest schedule this year. Not sure where to look to confirm that (too lazy to figure it out myself)

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I’m not surprised…when you get to play the Astros, Pirates, Cubs, Reds and Cardinals 90 freaking times, you have to have a pretty easy schedule.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 8, 2011 at 10:40 PM

I think you are being a tad pessimistic about this. One thing people never mention in regards to Morneau is that he was a hockey player growing up. I’m betting that the concussion he suffered with the Twins wasn’t anywhere near his first. Utley will be fine. They say he really isn’t displaying symptoms. Hold him out a week and there shouldn’t be any further issue.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2011 at 10:44 PM

I hope so dr.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 8, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Of course I might be overly optimistic. It’s in my nature.

• bigxrob - Sep 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM

I like your positive attitude DMA.

4. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 8, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Excellent win with a crazy line-up tonight. The bench guys really came through yet again. Hamels was absolutely brilliant.

• dailyrev - Sep 9, 2011 at 12:14 AM

stunningly relentless. When the Brews announcers gave that stat on the Phils’ 2-out runs-scored percentage for the year, I said, that’s a more meaningful number re. the playoffs than WHIP and WOOF and WARP and WOW and WAR and WOMP combined. I wouldn’t be even mildly surprised if they go 3-4-4 and champs this autumn. I watched that 6th inning and thought, “this is the 1998 Yankees, but with better pitching…”

All the trade deadline news to know