Sep 8, 2011, 9:13 PM EDT
Utley suffered the slight head injury on Wednesday night when he was struck in the batting helmet by an Eric O’Flaherty pitch. He’s not in any kind of pain, but the first-place Phillies have the luxury of playing this one as safe as they could possibly desire.
That’s what a 10-game lead will do for you.
Utley won’t take his IMPACT concussion test for another two days. If he passes — and it sure sounds like he will — the 32-year-old should be cleared to return to the Philadelphia starting lineup in time for Monday night’s series opener against the Astros.
Utley is batting .262/.344/.441 with 10 home runs and 41 RBI in 393 plate appearances this season.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (80)