Sep 8, 2011, 9:13 PM EDT
Utley suffered the slight head injury on Wednesday night when he was struck in the batting helmet by an Eric O’Flaherty pitch. He’s not in any kind of pain, but the first-place Phillies have the luxury of playing this one as safe as they could possibly desire.
That’s what a 10-game lead will do for you.
Utley won’t take his IMPACT concussion test for another two days. If he passes — and it sure sounds like he will — the 32-year-old should be cleared to return to the Philadelphia starting lineup in time for Monday night’s series opener against the Astros.
Utley is batting .262/.344/.441 with 10 home runs and 41 RBI in 393 plate appearances this season.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)