Sep 8, 2011, 9:13 PM EDT
Utley suffered the slight head injury on Wednesday night when he was struck in the batting helmet by an Eric O’Flaherty pitch. He’s not in any kind of pain, but the first-place Phillies have the luxury of playing this one as safe as they could possibly desire.
That’s what a 10-game lead will do for you.
Utley won’t take his IMPACT concussion test for another two days. If he passes — and it sure sounds like he will — the 32-year-old should be cleared to return to the Philadelphia starting lineup in time for Monday night’s series opener against the Astros.
Utley is batting .262/.344/.441 with 10 home runs and 41 RBI in 393 plate appearances this season.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 30
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 46
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 55
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)