Chipper Jones is batting second for the first time since 1996

Sep 8, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT

Chipper Jones

Fredi Gonzalez has decided to shake things up with the Braves’ lineup for Game 1 of today’s doubleheader against the Mets, moving Chipper Jones into the second spot.

Last time Jones hit second in the order? Way back in 1996, when he did so four times as a 24-year-old.

In the 15 seasons since here’s the breakdown of Jones’ starts in each batting order spot:

1st: 0
2nd: 0
3rd: 1,490
4th: 470
5th: 19
6th: 8
7th: 0
8th: 0
9th: 0

Martin Prado has batted second for the Braves in 43 of the past 50 games, but he’s in the No. 6 spot for Game 1 today.

1. bravesman1983 - Sep 8, 2011 at 3:30 PM

It sucks to have to feel this way, but these next four days are kind of a big deal for the Braves.

By the way, perhaps Fredi should also shake up his beliefs on proper bullpen usage. There’s no way of knowing whether or not the Braves end up winning last night’s game if he uses Kimbrel in the ninth instead of Moylan, but I sure as hell would’ve liked their chances at getting to the 10th a lot better. And once you get past Bastardo and Madson in that Philly bullpen, you at least stand a puncher’s chance . . . but hey, closers can’t be used in non-save situations on the road, can they? They will almost certainly burst into flames (or worse) upon toeing the rubber.

• hasbeen5 - Sep 8, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Moylan is good, but I thought everybody knew that sidearmer righthanders don’t fare well against lefties. Even if he didn’t want to go to Kimbrel, Moylan should be the last guy to face a lefty.

Also, I thought having Prado bunt after Bourne’s double was ridiculous. Even though he’s been struggling, if he puts the ball in play there’s a good chance Bourne moves up. No double play in order so why just give them an out? Chipper bailed him out with a hit, but maybe if Prado swings away he’s on base too and the inning could have been extended.

• bravesman1983 - Sep 8, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Yes sir. I was definitely yelling at the TV when Prado squared. Part of it was frustration that his attempt was so awful (no excuse for that), but most of it was frustration that you’re asking a good hitter to give away outs in a situation that doesn’t demand it.

I don’t hate Fredi, let’s keep that in mind. I don’t read the Capitol Avenue Club blog like it’s the word of Jesus Christ himself, nor do I harbor some delusional notions that I am somehow more knowledgeable than a man who has attained his position. But still, he frustrates me from time to time.

2. bravesman1983 - Sep 8, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Chipper just went yard.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 8, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Woo hoo!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 8, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Dang, Freddie Freezy is 3/3 so far too, 2RBIs. Let’s see if he can go .1000 on the twin bill today.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 8, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I tried commenting but it disappeared…what I meant to say was that this might be the only all braves fan comments section ever on HBT…before it’s ruined by some smelly non-Braves fan I will take a mental image of this page so it last forever.

PS. of course this moment occurs not on a CC post, but on Gleeman’s, so Kudos Gleezy, sorry ’bout the Twinkies.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 8, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Funny how the 2 biggest criticisms I see of Fredi are that:

1. He is using Kimbrel, Venters and O’Flaherty too much
    2. He is not using Kimbrel, Venters and O’Flaherty enough

• bravesman1983 - Sep 8, 2011 at 11:08 PM

I think you’re oversimplifying the complaints somewhat. With Kimbrel, anyway, this criticism in particular had nothing to do with whether he’s being used too much or not enough. It has to do with timing of usage. Fredi’s usage of Kimbrel is seemingly tailored around an arbitrary statistic rather than the significance of the situation.

5. Walk - Sep 9, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Moving back to chipper batting second for a bit, the timing is off there as well. As middle of the order hitters age they tend to lose their power but their on base percentage generallly is the last thing to dip. Last year i was all for chipper batting second because of that and even earlier this year. During the phillies series i saw a graphic that changed my mind, it said chipper was in the midst of a streak of jeff francouer proportions, more than 50 at bats since his last walk at that point. Timing of his move to second in the order is suspect for me to say the least. Ultimately i think he will do well there but i would like to see someone who is working the count there allowing bourne to chance of seeing the pitcher more and getting his read early in the game and moving him over with a sacrifice or ground ball behind him. Chipper will not be bunting and giving up his at bat and that does take a lot of pressure off the defense. I know chipper works the count well but i do not want what happened to prado to happen to chipper, prado went into a slump taking pitches to give bourne chance at taking a base.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4014)