Sep 8, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Ike Davis hasn’t played since May and was ruled out for the season long ago, but the good news is that it sounds like he won’t need ankle surgery.
Davis said last week that he was confident enough in his rehab progress to avoid surgery and today doctors who examined his bone bruise agreed, according to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York.
His recovery obviously still has a long way to go after missing all but 36 games, but at least Davis should head into what are now crucial offseason workouts at something resembling full strength.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)