Sep 8, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Andre Ethier backtracked a bit from his comments last month suggesting the Dodgers were making him play through a knee injury, but manager Don Mattingly just announced that Ethier has been shut down for the season.
According to Ethier doctors initially told him that playing through the injury wouldn’t make it any worse, but Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that he’s headed for a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews in Alabama.
Perhaps his condition has indeed gotten worse or maybe the Dodgers just realized that pushing an injured player to be in the lineup seems kind of silly when he’s hitting just .252 with two homers and a .672 OPS in 45 games since the All-Star break (although in fairness he’s played well in the brief time since the controversial comments).
Ethier hit .311 with an .846 OPS in the first half, yet will finish this season with the first sub-.800 OPS of his six-year career. He’s under the Dodgers’ control next season in his final year of arbitration eligibility and figures to make at least $11-12 million, so Ethier could find himself on the trading block this winter.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)