Sep 8, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
Bryce Harper hasn’t played since August 18 because of a hamstring injury and the Nationals announced today that he’s been ruled out for the Double-A playoffs.
Harper got off to a very slow start following his midseason promotion to Harrisburg, but was hitting .286 with an .879 OPS in 14 August games before the injury. And even his final line of .256 with a .724 OPS in 37 games is damn good for an 18-year-old, especially considering he earned the promotion by crushing low Single-A pitching.
Harper naturally shared his thoughts on missing the playoffs via Twitter:
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (162)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)