Sep 8, 2011, 12:23 AM EDT
We had a benches-clearing incident Wednesday in St. Louis between the Brewers and Cardinals.
The Brewers center fielder responded in kind, hurling a number of his own choice words out to the mound before removing the chewing tobacco from his lip and throwing it in the direction of Carpenter.
Carpenter had his back turned toward the outfield at that point, but Albert Pujols noticed the tobacco heave and charged toward Morgan from first base.
Pujols was held back, as was Morgan, and both teams eventually returned to their respective dugouts. But this is the 21st century, and so the fracas didn’t end in the physical world. It went … well … digital:
The Brewers and Cardinals probably won’t meet again this season, and it’s possible that both Pujols and Morgan will be playing for different clubs in 2012. But the great baseball flick “The Sandlot” taught us all the impact of accusing a member of the opposition of playing ball “like a girl.” This grudge won’t die easily.
The Cardinals won the game 2-0 and have moved to within 6.5 games of the Braves in the National League Wild Card standings. They’ll be hosting Atlanta for a crucial three-game series this weekend.
The Brewers, meanwhile, hold a healthy 8.5 game lead in the National League Central.
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 13
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)