Oh good: Jeff Loria wants to make more baseball decisions

Sep 8, 2011, 9:36 AM EDT

Image (1) Loria.jpg for post 4206

Yesterday, in the wake of the Marlins shuffling around their front office, I observed that part of the Marlins success over the years has been that, despite the financial constraints and despite the fact that their owner is basically a disaster area, the Marlins have always let good baseball people make good baseball decisions and bully for them if they continue to do that.

Then Buster Olney tweeted the following this morning:

There is a sense in FLA front office that Jeffrey Loria and David Samson will be taking a greater role in making player personnel decisions.

On behalf of all fans of National League East teams that are not the Florida Marlins, I would like to applaud this most welcome development.

I will now leave the rest of the comments on this news to Old Gator. Who, assuming he didn’t die of a coronary on the spot after reading that, probably has an opinion or two on the matter.

1. mississippimusicman - Sep 8, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I don’t really see how this is good news for anybody but the second-place NL East team each year. Within the division, everybody gets the pleasure of playing the Marlins equally, but the second-place team gets to pad those Wild Card numbers…

2. drkincaid - Sep 8, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Another sign that Ozzie Guillen is coming back to the Marlins… as a player/manager.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 8, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Is Loria riding a mechanical bull in that pic?

• Old Gator - Sep 9, 2011 at 12:14 AM

No, that’s just the Chihuahua stopping to lick his balls and threatening to make the saddle slip sideways.

4. pisano - Sep 8, 2011 at 10:46 AM

There’s a match made in hell, Loria and Ozzie. That combo should last about three weeks. What do you think Gator?

5. stackers1 - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I think Gator had the aforementioned coronary.

• natstowngreg - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:20 PM

My guess is, Old Gator is working on another literary masterpiece.

• Old Gator - Sep 9, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Thou speakest truer than you know, Gnats. As a matter of fact I have made a couple of remarkable discoveries about our very own Scrooge McLoria which will require some further background research and an extended commentary worthy of the significance of these aforesaid discoveries. Watch out for a major disquisition right here on Circling the Bases sometime later in the fall.

Really.

6. APBA Guy - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:36 PM

OG phoned. He’s been rushed to the Mojito Mainline clinic, where Marlins fans are taken after reading or hearing any Loria related news. Treatment consists of two bags of IV mojitos followed by 3 cups of cafe Cubano and a plane flight to the Northeast to watch a well run baseball team play.

• Old Gator - Sep 9, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Mojito Mainline was jammed with elective patients waiting for their Obamacare to kick in, so I had myself turfed to Cuba Libre a little bit crosstown. I dozed off in the waiting room and managed to wake up just in time to keep from being mistaken for a cadaver delivery.

7. jimbo1949 - Sep 8, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Did Gator mention something about being in Toronto for a CD release party? Must be incommunicado or inflight or insomething

8. Old Gator - Sep 8, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Here I am! Here I am!

Yes, it’s 4:15 PM in Tornonto and I have to dump my suitcase in the room, recharge my cell phone, take a quick shower, change into something fit for human companionship, and get into town. I will address this horrifying prospect in detail later tonight, after something akin to the treatment outlined by APBA Guy but mostly Molson’s on a drip feed.

Loria – well, that’s horrible.

But the Chihuahua?

That’s….that’s….the baseball equivalent of The Return of the Living Dead: “I know you’re up there, Larry….I can smell – your – brayayyyynnnnnnn….

• Old Gator - Sep 8, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Okay, I am basking in the glow of a great night of music by the drastically beautiful Ivy Mairi and her terrific band at the legendary Dakota Tavern in Toronto and even the idea of Scrooge McLoria and the Chihuahua meddling with the Feesh – as if, by the way, they didn’t anyway; if strangling your payroll and dumping your stars with the regularity of a pelican with celiac doesn’t count as “meddling,” what the hell does? – can’t make me as miserable as it will in the morning.

Scrooge and Ozzie? Yes, a marriage made in hell. But the fans will be the downstairs neighbors who will be kept awake all night by the screaming, cursing and plates shattering against the wall. I prefer to think of them as the George Steinbrenner and Billy Martin of the Great Recession.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3223)