Old Style will continue to flow in Wrigley Field

Sep 8, 2011, 3:32 PM EDT

Old Style

Did you know that there was a chance that Old Style Beer — a fixture for over 60 years — would not be sold in Wrigley Field after this year?  Seems that the brewer and the Cubs have ironed out their differences, however, and have extended their pouring rights agreement through 2013.

Sorry Cubs fans. Make do the best you can.

Don’t look at me like that. Just because something is a tradition doesn’t mean it’s good.  Sickest I’ve ever been at a ballpark was after drinking Old Style while watching a game there back in 2000.  And it wasn’t because of the quantity. Stuff just sits like a brick on my stomach. And that was back when I had a 27-year-old stomach that could handle just about anything.

1. yankeesfanlen - Sep 8, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Wuss!

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 8, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Tradition is all the Cubs have.

• goawaydog - Sep 8, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Ouch!

3. Jonny 5 - Sep 8, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Made by Pabst. And Pabst has no clue whatsoever on how to brew good beer. They make Old english and St. Ides on top of all the crappy beer they produce. I’d stop drinking beer if they were the last beer mfg. on earth (actually I’d probably brew my own).

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 8, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Then they must have changed the “magic formula” since ’97. I can’t stand Pabst.
      Old Style Old Style used to be a delicious nectar.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 8, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I have a feeling that in 1997 you were probably high Len……… Or afflicted with some sort of taste bud disorder… J/K.. I read somewhere Old Style is actually made in a new more expensive way since 2010 or something like that. Look, I’m not anyone to take beer advice from since I’m very picky about beer. The only cheap beer i enjoy is Yuengling really.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 8, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I met a Pabst family member over a Labor Day bbq last weekend. She was yummy, but the beer was not.

• kopy - Sep 8, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Pabst is probably the best “American-style lager” that is massively produced. I’d take it over a Bud/Miller/Coors every day.

• kopy - Sep 8, 2011 at 4:20 PM

and twice on Sunday morning.

• wlschneider09 - Sep 8, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I dunno kopy, I think you’ve got a little Minnesota homerism in your beer taste.

• Kevin S. - Sep 8, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Yuengling and Sam Adams say ‘hi.’ And even if you want to go with a cheap-ass beer, Rolling Rock kicks PBR’s ass up and down the aisle. The only good reason I’ve ever heard for voluntarily drinking PBR was this guy who’d bring it to parties because he knew nobody would take it on him.

4. sosascork - Sep 8, 2011 at 11:45 PM

The Authentic Kraeusening provides a clean finish, unless you’re a Braves fan!

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet