Phillies activate Jimmy Rollins from the disabled list

Sep 8, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT

Jimmy Rollins

Chase Utley is out for at least a few days with a mild concussion, but the Phillies’ middle infield does get a boost today with Jimmy Rollins being activated from the disabled list.

Rollins hasn’t played since August 22 because of a groin injury and wasn’t quite ready to return from the DL when eligible earlier this week, but Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that they pushed up his timetable due to Utley’s status.

Wilson Valdez and Michael Martinez, who had been filling in for Rollins at shortstop, will now slide over to second base for however long Utley is out. Utley and Rollins have been in the same lineup together just 67 times in 139 games.

1. The Baseball Gods - Sep 8, 2011 at 11:59 AM

“Utley and Rollins have been in the same lineup together just 67 times in 139 games.”

Yet they have the best record in baseball and are 43 games over .500.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 8, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Exactly.

Turnback the clock to March and ask people “Rollins and Utley will play together less then half the season, significant DL time for Polanco, the closer role will be a patchwork of Conterares, Madson and Bastardo, Oswalt will miss a ton of starts, and the 2nd half will rely heavily on Vance Worley. How do you think the Phillies will do?”

I don’t think anyone would say best record in Baseball

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Sorry, but just as I chastised the Yankees fans who whined about injuries “depleting” their team, I have to say the same for my fellow Phillies fans. So long as the Names Halladay, Lee and Hamels were not missing significant amounts of time, then I had no doubts whatsoever that the team would win over 100 games. No amount of offensive struggles or injuries were going to stop this team from dominating the regular season. Come playoff time, it’s a different story, but for the regular season, I said you could put the AAA team lineup behind these pitchers and win 100 games.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Chris, I agree to a point. My first comment when Utley was to start the season on the DL was “His name isn’t Hamels, Halladay, Lee or Oswalt? Moving right along….”

But still, the Phillies have had a rough patch with injuries, especailly the closer role. So that they have the best record – that says a lot about there bench, and it says lot about Worley, Sutes, Bastardo and Mayberry

2. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM

I sincerely hope they don’t plan on starting Rollins since they are apparently rushing him back. Just go with some combination of Valdez, Martinez, and Orr. I know they all kind of suck but whatever. No sense in getting Rollins hurt at this point.

• seanmk - Sep 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM

how do you know they are “rushing rollins” back exactly?

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I think when a team pushes up a timetable for a return in response to another injury it can be classified as rushing back.

• seanmk - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:50 PM

i guess but at the same time, it’s september so with expanded rosters it’s not like you are taking a guy away by activating him and not playing him. plus he can pinch hit at the very least

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 8, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Funny it’s September but the Phillies Roster at least hasn’t expanded all that much.

3. icelovinbrotha215 - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Don’t rush him back please. We need Jimmy, and Chase, for the Red October run.

4. saturn1111 - Sep 8, 2011 at 2:32 PM

@fiorentino; who’s whining?

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2011 at 3:40 PM

@saturn111; who did I reply to?

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM

@chris Well wait a second, re-read my post. I wasn’t whining, I was saying I doubt a lot of people would have predcited the best record in baseball with the injuries they had. That’s all.

No whining here, lovin’ every minute of it!

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Yeah,I really was talking about the Yankees fans who whined earlier…didn’t mean to imply either of you guys were whining. The more I think, the more I wonder whether saturn is a Yankees fan who didn’t think the Yankees fans were whining earlier when they talked about injuries to Joba, Feliciano, Hughes, Colon, Garcia and pointed to them as an excuse for how they were not going to go 162-0…or maybe he/she is not a Yankees fan an thinks I was saying you guys were whining. Dont know…dont care…like you, I am enjoying the Phillies too. So long as Doc, Lee and Cole don’t miss more than a start or two, then injuries can not be used as any type of excuse for the Phillies…unless you thought they would win 120 games or something!!

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS