Sep 8, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Rollins hasn’t played since August 22 because of a groin injury and wasn’t quite ready to return from the DL when eligible earlier this week, but Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that they pushed up his timetable due to Utley’s status.
Wilson Valdez and Michael Martinez, who had been filling in for Rollins at shortstop, will now slide over to second base for however long Utley is out. Utley and Rollins have been in the same lineup together just 67 times in 139 games.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 3
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)