Reggie Jackson has regrets?

Sep 8, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT

Reggie Jackson

Marc Carig has a good piece over at Baseball Prospectus today. He talks with Reggie Jackson about Mr. October’s all-time strikeout record and how, in hindsight, Reggie wishes he had cut down on his mighty hack.  Marc adds some analysis of his own comparing the guy who was once thought of as an insane whiffer to guys today that make him look relatively tame in the K department.

It’s good reading, but I’m not sure what to make of Reggie thinking he should have struck out less.  I’ve always had this idea of Jackson as a guy whose primary strength and primary weakness were his brains — which were obvious — and his ego — which was also obvious. I picture him thinking “man, I don’t care how much I strike out, because these violent swings are what makes me me.”  And I picture him holding on to those thoughts with even greater relish now that he’s aware that, for the most part, strikeouts aren’t as stigmatized today.

Has Mr. October started to doubt himself in his September years? Is he simply taking the another turn against conventional wisdom now that the conventional wisdom has caught up with him?

Whatever the case, the classics never go out of style. And I consider Reggie Jackson a classic piece of work, for all of the good and all of the bad that phrase means to me.  Check it out.

1. yankeesfanlen - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:33 PM

“The record shows, I took the blows ……and did it…..”

• nategearhart - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Leave Reggie alone!

2. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM

if he didn’t strike out as much, he would not have hit as many home runs, right? And if he didn’t hit as many home runs, then his career .262 BA might not have been good enough to get him into the hall of fame the way they voted back then right? Even if he upgraded his BA to .270 with less K’s, if he hit less than 500 would he have been such a quick lock for the hall? Or would he have had to sweat it out a few years?

• aceshigh11 - Sep 8, 2011 at 2:10 PM

True. The 500 HR threshold, and his postseason heroics, are the two big qualifying achievements.

A .270 career average with less than 500 HR, even if it meant far fewer strikeouts, would make his HoF case less compelling.

• Joe - Sep 8, 2011 at 2:46 PM

That’s what it boils down to, doesn’t it? Reggie, would you prefer to put the ball in play more often, or would you prefer to be in the Hall of Fame?

3. aceshigh11 - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Reggie Jackson is bush league in the ‘K’ department next to Adam Dunn.

• seanmk - Sep 8, 2011 at 2:58 PM

or jim thome who looks to dethrone him if he plays next year

4. The Dangerous Mabry - Sep 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Any time someone mentions Reggie Jackson, I’m reminded of the time the Reverend Jesse Jackson came to speak at my college. He gave a lengthy discourse on something or other, and at the end of the evening he did a Q&A with the audience. Apparently, a couple of guys had tricked some poor girl into asking him the following:

“Reverend Jackson, why do people call you Mr October?”

Fantastic stuff. It’s not often Jesse Jackson is at a loss for words, but this slowed him down for a minute.

• dailyrev - Sep 8, 2011 at 2:49 PM

funniest story I’ve heard in a while. One thing’s for sure: Jesse sure as hell wasn’t Mr. November!

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet