Sep 8, 2011, 12:34 PM EST
Brewers’ GM Doug Melvin was on WTMJ radio today and was asked about the Nyjer Morgan/Albert Pujols business from last night. Summary here, actual broadcast here. Upshot: He’s not happy. He said that manager Ron Roenicke is going to deal with Morgan “internally,” and likely not by giving him a firm handshake and an “‘attaboy.” He was also asked about Morgan’s lame tweets about “Alberta” Pujols after the game:
“The whole tweeting thing in sports is probably something that needs to be addressed,” said Melvin. “But it’s out there and we have to deal with it.”
Just to be clear, for the 100th time, the problem is not with tweeting itself. The problem is with people — especially notable public figures like Morgan — who don’t understand that tweeting something is the same thing as saying something into a the microphone of Chuck Chuckson from Action 9 Sports. Impress that upon the minds of your players and then treat them exactly like you’d treat anyone who said stupid crap to a reporter after the game.
As for Morgan, the thing I wonder the most about is his self-awareness. He’s having a great season, but he’s also capable of having crap seasons too. A variable player who is no doubt playing in some good luck this year. History is littered with people who can get away with anything when they’re successful, but whose act grows tired fast the moment they stop being successful.
You’d think that, in light of that, Morgan would dial it back a bit. I mean, if you’re Albert Pujols or someone super awesome and consistent like that you can afford to be a jerk sometimes. If you’re not, you can’t.
Oh wait. Albert Pujols is never a jerk like that. Maybe there’s a lesson in that too.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)