Sep 8, 2011, 12:34 PM EDT
Brewers’ GM Doug Melvin was on WTMJ radio today and was asked about the Nyjer Morgan/Albert Pujols business from last night. Summary here, actual broadcast here. Upshot: He’s not happy. He said that manager Ron Roenicke is going to deal with Morgan “internally,” and likely not by giving him a firm handshake and an “‘attaboy.” He was also asked about Morgan’s lame tweets about “Alberta” Pujols after the game:
“The whole tweeting thing in sports is probably something that needs to be addressed,” said Melvin. “But it’s out there and we have to deal with it.”
Just to be clear, for the 100th time, the problem is not with tweeting itself. The problem is with people — especially notable public figures like Morgan — who don’t understand that tweeting something is the same thing as saying something into a the microphone of Chuck Chuckson from Action 9 Sports. Impress that upon the minds of your players and then treat them exactly like you’d treat anyone who said stupid crap to a reporter after the game.
As for Morgan, the thing I wonder the most about is his self-awareness. He’s having a great season, but he’s also capable of having crap seasons too. A variable player who is no doubt playing in some good luck this year. History is littered with people who can get away with anything when they’re successful, but whose act grows tired fast the moment they stop being successful.
You’d think that, in light of that, Morgan would dial it back a bit. I mean, if you’re Albert Pujols or someone super awesome and consistent like that you can afford to be a jerk sometimes. If you’re not, you can’t.
Oh wait. Albert Pujols is never a jerk like that. Maybe there’s a lesson in that too.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 1
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 37
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 118
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (118)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)