Sep 8, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
The spread: Both the Yankees and Red Sox lose. New York stays ahead of Boston by two and a half.
The skinny: The Yankees, who just hosted Baltimore, now go down to Baltimore today for a makeup game. I’m sure everyone is thrilled to see these two play yet another game. All they need is rain. Oh, wait, there’s some in the forecast? Fabbo!
The spread: The Tigers beat Cleveland again and the Sox lose. Make that lead nine over Chicago, nine and a half ahead of Cleveland.
The skinny: As long as no other playoff team is able to (a) trade for Shelley Duncan; and (b) circumvent playoff roster rules in a manner that allows him to play in the postseason, Detroit looks pretty good at the moment.
The spread: Rangers lose, Halos win, Texas’ lead is back down to two and a half.
The skinny: Both teams are off today, giving them time to contemplate how they have remained so close this season.
The spread: The Phillies beat the Braves — again — and are now ten and a half up.
The skinny: The Braves are a disaster at the moment and, after a Hurricane Irene-inspired double header today, they head to St. Louis for a three-game series against a Cardinals team that is suddenly only six and a half back in the wild card.
The spread: Cards beat the Brewers — they took five of six from them in the two recent series — and are eight back with 19 to play.
The skinny: As noted above, sweep the wounded Braves and we’ll have an interesting wild card race on our hands.
The spread: Diamondbacks win, Giants lose, and the snakes have a seven-game lead again.
The skinny: The Dbacks play 13 of their last 19 at home.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)