Sep 8, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
The spread: Both the Yankees and Red Sox lose. New York stays ahead of Boston by two and a half.
The skinny: The Yankees, who just hosted Baltimore, now go down to Baltimore today for a makeup game. I’m sure everyone is thrilled to see these two play yet another game. All they need is rain. Oh, wait, there’s some in the forecast? Fabbo!
The spread: The Tigers beat Cleveland again and the Sox lose. Make that lead nine over Chicago, nine and a half ahead of Cleveland.
The skinny: As long as no other playoff team is able to (a) trade for Shelley Duncan; and (b) circumvent playoff roster rules in a manner that allows him to play in the postseason, Detroit looks pretty good at the moment.
The spread: Rangers lose, Halos win, Texas’ lead is back down to two and a half.
The skinny: Both teams are off today, giving them time to contemplate how they have remained so close this season.
The spread: The Phillies beat the Braves — again — and are now ten and a half up.
The skinny: The Braves are a disaster at the moment and, after a Hurricane Irene-inspired double header today, they head to St. Louis for a three-game series against a Cardinals team that is suddenly only six and a half back in the wild card.
The spread: Cards beat the Brewers — they took five of six from them in the two recent series — and are eight back with 19 to play.
The skinny: As noted above, sweep the wounded Braves and we’ll have an interesting wild card race on our hands.
The spread: Diamondbacks win, Giants lose, and the snakes have a seven-game lead again.
The skinny: The Dbacks play 13 of their last 19 at home.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 0
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)