Sep 8, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
The spread: Both the Yankees and Red Sox lose. New York stays ahead of Boston by two and a half.
The skinny: The Yankees, who just hosted Baltimore, now go down to Baltimore today for a makeup game. I’m sure everyone is thrilled to see these two play yet another game. All they need is rain. Oh, wait, there’s some in the forecast? Fabbo!
The spread: The Tigers beat Cleveland again and the Sox lose. Make that lead nine over Chicago, nine and a half ahead of Cleveland.
The skinny: As long as no other playoff team is able to (a) trade for Shelley Duncan; and (b) circumvent playoff roster rules in a manner that allows him to play in the postseason, Detroit looks pretty good at the moment.
The spread: Rangers lose, Halos win, Texas’ lead is back down to two and a half.
The skinny: Both teams are off today, giving them time to contemplate how they have remained so close this season.
The spread: The Phillies beat the Braves — again — and are now ten and a half up.
The skinny: The Braves are a disaster at the moment and, after a Hurricane Irene-inspired double header today, they head to St. Louis for a three-game series against a Cardinals team that is suddenly only six and a half back in the wild card.
The spread: Cards beat the Brewers — they took five of six from them in the two recent series — and are eight back with 19 to play.
The skinny: As noted above, sweep the wounded Braves and we’ll have an interesting wild card race on our hands.
The spread: Diamondbacks win, Giants lose, and the snakes have a seven-game lead again.
The skinny: The Dbacks play 13 of their last 19 at home.
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 9
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 15
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 35
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 44
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)