Sep 8, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
The spread: Both the Yankees and Red Sox lose. New York stays ahead of Boston by two and a half.
The skinny: The Yankees, who just hosted Baltimore, now go down to Baltimore today for a makeup game. I’m sure everyone is thrilled to see these two play yet another game. All they need is rain. Oh, wait, there’s some in the forecast? Fabbo!
The spread: The Tigers beat Cleveland again and the Sox lose. Make that lead nine over Chicago, nine and a half ahead of Cleveland.
The skinny: As long as no other playoff team is able to (a) trade for Shelley Duncan; and (b) circumvent playoff roster rules in a manner that allows him to play in the postseason, Detroit looks pretty good at the moment.
The spread: Rangers lose, Halos win, Texas’ lead is back down to two and a half.
The skinny: Both teams are off today, giving them time to contemplate how they have remained so close this season.
The spread: The Phillies beat the Braves — again — and are now ten and a half up.
The skinny: The Braves are a disaster at the moment and, after a Hurricane Irene-inspired double header today, they head to St. Louis for a three-game series against a Cardinals team that is suddenly only six and a half back in the wild card.
The spread: Cards beat the Brewers — they took five of six from them in the two recent series — and are eight back with 19 to play.
The skinny: As noted above, sweep the wounded Braves and we’ll have an interesting wild card race on our hands.
The spread: Diamondbacks win, Giants lose, and the snakes have a seven-game lead again.
The skinny: The Dbacks play 13 of their last 19 at home.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)