Why baseball is better than football

Sep 8, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT

baseball

ESPN’s Jim Caple writes one of these every year, so he’s kind of running out of original ideas, but it’s always good to be reminded of any reasons — even the weaker ones — why baseball beats the crap out of football, so I link it with approval.

To be honest, though, whenever I’m presented with the question, I adopt the reasoning of David Mamet who, in the movie “Heist,” wrote the line “Everybody needs money. That’s why they call it money.”  It’s baseball, people. That other thing is football.  What more needs to be said?

1. stinkfist5 - Sep 8, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Maybe it’s because I’m and Oriole(notorious losers) and Raven(notorious winners) fan, but I have to disagree with you…

• kellyb9 - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Is it because the Orioles are so bad that you consider the Ravens to be notorious winners? I don’t have a dog in this fight, I’m just really curious on the reasoning.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:29 PM

The Ravens have a semi-recent super bowl and pretty much always make the playoffs. They are notorious winners for those reasons alone.

• kellyb9 - Sep 8, 2011 at 4:39 PM

The Ravens have a semi-recent Super Bowl which occured almost a decade ago. Just saying… they haven’t even really been top team in their division much since then.

2. natstowngreg - Sep 8, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Torri Hunter, hatin’ on the Rally Monkey? Scandalous.

BTW, I got the “guess the box score” right.

3. Francisco (FC) - Sep 8, 2011 at 12:26 PM

George Carlin said it best:

• natstowngreg - Sep 8, 2011 at 12:48 PM

The definitive dissertation on baseball’s superiority.

4. dailyrev - Sep 8, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Sorry, the definitive, all-time championship HOF piece in this genre remains the late great George Carlin’s diatribe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXacL0Uny0

5. The Common Man - Sep 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM

God, I love that Mamet movie.

“So, is he going to be cool?”
    “My M-F-er is so cool, when he goes to sleep the sheep count him.”

6. phukyouk - Sep 8, 2011 at 12:34 PM

this is Pie Vs Cake all over again… sigh

• indaburg - Sep 8, 2011 at 6:04 PM

It’s like arguing steak vs. pizza. They’re both awesome. There is room enough for both to coexist. (But pie really does suck.)

7. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2011 at 12:57 PM

For me, football is way better for the simple fact that I will watch any NFL football game I can whereas if it isn’t the Phillies, Red Sox or Yankees, then I really don’t care. But that’s just me.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Get MLB.tv and play fantasy baseball and you will rescind this comment immediately. All baseball, all of the time. Fantasy football sucks balls too (small samples, more arbitrary stats, too few great players for a bigger league, and worst of all, once per f’ing week? boooo). That said, I agree that any NFL game is fun to watch with the exception of the NFC West. Gross.

• Alex K - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I’m the opposite. I’ll watch any baseball game I can whereas if it isn’t…um…ah…shit. I just really don’t watch NFL football. I like college football, though.

8. kellyb9 - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I’m not going to argue about football versus baseball because clearly… hockey is the best sport.

9. ThatGuy - Sep 8, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Meh, Hockey is better than both.

10. sportsdrenched.com - Sep 8, 2011 at 2:23 PM

These two things are not mutually exclusive. I will watch most any baseball game HS and above…I will do the same with football. However, Let’s say Baylor takes me hostage. And I am forced to choose between the two, I will choose baseball.

11. saturn1111 - Sep 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM

The ‘my favorite sport is better’ pissing contest is soooo lame.

12. paperlions - Sep 8, 2011 at 4:26 PM

One way in which football is better: the football media doesn’t have an inferiority complex that compels them to waste time trying to justify why the sport they cover is better.

13. sasquash20 - Sep 8, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Its not even close. Football kills baseball. I love Baseball but there is no way I watch a baseball game over a football game, unless its a Phillies playoff game going against a regular season football game. Hockey is up there with baseball for the number 2 spot as well. They all kill the NBA, whatever the hell they call that garbage.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Sep 8, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I wonder if this attitude would remain the same if there were 162 games in a football season. I don’t know about you personally, but I think it’s reasonable to think that a lot of the focus on football is due to the relative scarcity of the sport.

14. dirtyharry1971 - Sep 9, 2011 at 12:33 AM

i have no idea why anyone would want to bring up anything caple writes, he is easily the worse hack espn has. With that said i did check his reasons and the part about Season integrity is dead wrong. A team can still win a division with a losing record, once again caple has no idea what he’s talking about which is why he should be ignored.

Three legends off to Cooperstown