Sep 8, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
ESPN’s Jim Caple writes one of these every year, so he’s kind of running out of original ideas, but it’s always good to be reminded of any reasons — even the weaker ones — why baseball beats the crap out of football, so I link it with approval.
To be honest, though, whenever I’m presented with the question, I adopt the reasoning of David Mamet who, in the movie “Heist,” wrote the line “Everybody needs money. That’s why they call it money.” It’s baseball, people. That other thing is football. What more needs to be said?
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 88
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 15
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 35
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 40
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (189)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)