Sep 9, 2011, 5:18 AM EDT
Braves 6, Mets 5; Braves 5, Mets 1: A makeup doubleheader. Chipper Jones made like it was 1999 and that dismantling the Mets was still his primary purpose on the Earth. Those were the days. He hit a homer doubled and scored twice in game 1 He drove in two more in the nightcap. Something named “Chris Schwinden” pitched for the Mets. They ought to have that looked at. All four of the starters in the double header were rookies.
Phillies 7, Brewers 2: Ryan Howard, Chase Utley and Jimmy Rollins were all out of the lineup. And it didn’t really much matter. Cole Hamels pitched a four-hitter and Hunter Pence drove in three in the first came of what could be an NLCS preview. Or, actually, if the Dbacks keep winning I suppose it could be an NLDS preview, as Milwaukee is only a couple of games ahead of Arizona at the moment.
Dodgers 7, Nationals 4; Dodgers vs. Nationals: POSTPONED: They tried to have a makeup doubleheader in Washington, but they could only get one game in before it was washed out. A two-run double for Tony Gwynn, Jr. in the ninth broke the tie and a Dee Gordon RBI single added insurance. The Dodgers’ bullpen stepped up big here as Chad Billingsley was yanked in the third and the relief corps pitched a no-hitter for the remaining six and two-thirds.
Orioles 5, Yankees 4: The Yankees built a 4-1 lead but the bats went silent after the fourth inning. They have to be sick to death of the Orioles by now, who’ve they played in eight of the last 14 games. New York heads to Los Angeles now. Let’s see how snakebitten they are: will it rain in Southern California?
Blue Jays 7, Red Sox 4: The Sox drop their fourth in five tries. J.P. Arencibia hit a three-run homer. Andrew Miller was basically Andrew Miller, giving up five runs in five innings. But hey, at least there are those studies out there that show that how hot a team is in the last month of the season has very little bearing on their playoff performance.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)