Sep 9, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT
I’m guessing this is Buster Olney trying to add to the whole pitching to the score/pitcher wins/Cy Young/Jack Morris debate. But since it’s Buster Olney, it doesn’t make all that much sense.
A question for anyone who thinks pitchers don’t make decisions according to the score: please explain timing of intentional walks.
1. Pitchers don’t call for intentional walks. The bench calls for intentional walks. At best, the pitcher might have some influence over the decision following a trip to the mound.
2. The intentional walk is simply a maneuver used by a team in an attempt to hurt the other team’s chance of scoring one or more runs (usually one). At least, that’s the idea anyway. Teams issue them when they’re ahead, when they’re behind and when they’re tied, simply because the whole idea is that it’ll hurt the other team’s chances of scoring.
Anyway, I’m not sure what Olney hoped to add to the debate here. Besides, no one has ever said pitchers don’t acknowledge the score when they pitch. Many of us just don’t think it makes any real difference at all. The great pitchers tend to be just as great whether they have one or eight runs to work with.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 8
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 10
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)