Chase Utley could miss all of next week with mild concussion

Sep 9, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

Chase Utley has already been ruled out for the entire weekend with a mild concussion suffered Wednesday and now general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. indicated that the Phillies second baseman probably won’t be back before late next week.

Amaro told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that “I don’t expect him to play the next two series just so we can be cautious … that’s just my guess.”

Those “next two series” are today through Sunday against the Brewers and then Monday through Wednesday against the Astros, meaning Amaro doesn’t expect to see Utley back in the lineup before Thursday.

Philadelphia’s huge lead in the NL East provides extra incentive to be cautious with injuries and as Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, Brian Roberts, Denard Span, and others have unfortunately shown recently there’s no forcing your way back from a brain injury.

1. halladaysbiceps - Sep 9, 2011 at 11:34 AM

This is fine. I have no problem whatsoever taking it slow with Chase until after the Houston series. He was hit on the helmet and was obviously experiencing mild concussion issues after the game. This team is so good that missing Chase for the rest of the “Overrated” Brewers and the “Bottom Basement” Astros series is fine. If Chase doen’t play another game until the playoffs, I don’t think it will matter. Really.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 9, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Hey, bicep(t)…

You’re starting to slip back into pre-Thorazine mode.

Don’t make Calcaterra ban your ass again.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 9, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Go f yourself. Don’t threaten me. Your comment is unwarranted and unnecessary.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Relax, man…it was a joke.

As someone else observed, you seem more excited than usual today. No threats.

• cup0pizza - Sep 9, 2011 at 4:28 PM

halladayssacklicker proves that once a jerk and a hack, always a jerk and a hack.

2. dodger88 - Sep 9, 2011 at 11:36 AM

So why are they not using the new 7 day DL (or have they)? I could be wrong but it has barely been used. For a team like the Phils with such a big lead using it would be a no brainer would it not?

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM

There is really no advantage to putting anybody on the DL at this point in the season…unless it is the 60 day. Rosters are already expanded so it isn’t like he is wasting a spot on the 25 man. If this would have happened during the bulk of the season I’m sure they would have.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Utley is day by day. No reason to put him on the DL. As far as a 7 day DL, I do not believe it exists. Only 15 and 60 day DLs exist currently.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 9, 2011 at 11:42 AM

No, there is a 7 day DL specifically for concussions.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I stand corrected, Doctor. Didn’t realise that. I guess because it’s rarely invoked.

• dodger88 - Sep 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM

7 day DL is new this season but off the top of my head I can only recall 1 maybe 2 instances where it was used.

Valid point on the fact that expanded rosters means the roster spot doesn’t need to be freed up.

• seanmk - Sep 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM

brian roberts and denard span are the only two that come to mind that used the 7 day DL spot this year

3. mercyflush - Sep 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Keep him out till the last two series of the season, so he can get his timing back before the playoffs.

They were talking on sports radio in Philly yesterday that come that last series against the Braves, someone better bean Chipper or Uggla. You shouldn’t hit a star player dead in the head and not have some sort of retribution, whether there was intent or not. (this was the argument Mikey Miss was making).

Not sure I agree with that, but it’ll be interesting to see what happens. This Phillies team the last few years seems to play by those “unwritten rules” more often than not.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Mikey Miss is clueless…..That’s just my opinion though.

• youreyesareweird - Sep 9, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Mikey Miss needs to chill… you’re talking about people’s lives when you demand retribution. I agree some penalty is needed for that pitcher (fines and suspensions), but don’t call for the other team’s players to be attacked. They didn’t throw that pitch and it’s not like there is bad blood between the two clubs. Shattered jaws, eyesockets…career ending concussions. Kick the pitcher out of MLB but, damn don’t call for something that bad to be reciprocated.

• sasquash20 - Sep 9, 2011 at 11:12 PM

That is how they do it in baseball. Mikey Miss is dead on. I don’t even like the guy and I agree. They should and will go after someone. Maybe not a skull shot but they better nail someone in the back or rib cage. Pull the string tinker bell.

4. Clinton Manitoba - Sep 9, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Hope that it doesn’t lead to death threats to EOF and family.
    Pennsylvania has a track record.

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 9, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Go screw yourself, imbecile.

• Clinton Manitoba - Sep 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM

You really are a tough guy today.

Clean that sand from your vagina and relax.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 9, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Yo do know that escalating isn’t going to help?

• badwolf76 - Sep 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Clinton, you are either lazy and ignorant or just a troll. Every fan of every team has a track record of something or other throughout the years.

• badwolf76 - Sep 9, 2011 at 1:02 PM

*fanbase, that is

• Clinton Manitoba - Sep 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I am well aware of that.
        But we are talking about Chase Utley here. Mr. Gold Cock. He is a king to some and a God to the rest.
        I am sure there was rivers of tears after he got pulled from the game, and a flash flood when news of a concussion broke.
        So any over reaction to this news would not be news.

I can only hope death/families are left out it.

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM

You are correct Manitoba, Pennsylvania does have a track record. In 1776, I believe we did a little retaliation against the British. That worked out well I think. Then in 1863, well, I believe we had a little moment of retaliation happen again around these parts that benefitted folks all around.

So before you go off making a weak attempt to insult an entire state, do a little homework on who you’re insulting, judge not on a few specific people in a specific fan base in a specific part of the state.

A** clown

• badwolf76 - Sep 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Who have yet to do/say anything that would be remotely conceived as threatening.

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 9, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Oh yeah, that too ;-)

• jnks10 - Sep 9, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Calling you a clown would be a compliment because you much more of a tool then that.

5. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 9, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Well, I know I’m the only Mr. Pessimistic on this story, but the hits seem to keep on coming. Now it’s a week. First he might be back for the back-end of the Brewers series. Then it’s after the weekend. Now it’s two series. Next thing you know, NinJr is telling us that he may be back for the NLCS.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 9, 2011 at 12:31 PM

He hasn’t even been evaluated yet, so nothing has really changed. No sense in throwing him back out there…keep him in Philadelphia.

6. dbick - Sep 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM

They can sit him until the playoffs for all I care, with the pitching and lead the Phils have the Braves aren’t catching them with or without him. I’d much rather have him healthy for playoffs than meaningless regular season games against the Astros.

7. cakrywyj - Sep 9, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Hmmm.., same 5 people on here every single day arguing and insulting each other… Don’t worry, you all lose lol

• jnks10 - Sep 9, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Im never on here but i just want to point on that you came on here just to say that. Thanks for contributing. And you know who is always on here meaning you always read what they say. Who’s more of a loser someone voicing their opinion or someone who is affriad to but instead just insults other people?

8. phillyphever - Sep 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Ok, time to panic.

9. sasquash20 - Sep 9, 2011 at 11:27 PM

I think the Phillies should take there time with this. Besides Howard and company can get the job done. Utley usually vanishes for the late summer any how. At least the last 4 years. Give him the break and let him recharge his batteries. He hasn’t played that good since August. Fact is Utley isn’t the same player he once was, not even close. If Howard was in this situation then I would be worried. Howard has been and always will be MUCH more valuable then Chase. I love them both so don’t think I’m a hater. The fact is its not even close between those two. But come Doctober we should have a healthy Chase, Jimmy and the whole crew to go along with the best pitching staff in MLB in over 40 years.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3207)