Sep 9, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Chase Utley has already been ruled out for the entire weekend with a mild concussion suffered Wednesday and now general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. indicated that the Phillies second baseman probably won’t be back before late next week.
Amaro told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that “I don’t expect him to play the next two series just so we can be cautious … that’s just my guess.”
Those “next two series” are today through Sunday against the Brewers and then Monday through Wednesday against the Astros, meaning Amaro doesn’t expect to see Utley back in the lineup before Thursday.
Philadelphia’s huge lead in the NL East provides extra incentive to be cautious with injuries and as Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, Brian Roberts, Denard Span, and others have unfortunately shown recently there’s no forcing your way back from a brain injury.
- Report: Mariners break off talks with Robinson Cano after Jay Z “overplayed his hand” 45
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 86
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (99)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (86)