Sep 9, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Chase Utley has already been ruled out for the entire weekend with a mild concussion suffered Wednesday and now general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. indicated that the Phillies second baseman probably won’t be back before late next week.
Amaro told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that “I don’t expect him to play the next two series just so we can be cautious … that’s just my guess.”
Those “next two series” are today through Sunday against the Brewers and then Monday through Wednesday against the Astros, meaning Amaro doesn’t expect to see Utley back in the lineup before Thursday.
Philadelphia’s huge lead in the NL East provides extra incentive to be cautious with injuries and as Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, Brian Roberts, Denard Span, and others have unfortunately shown recently there’s no forcing your way back from a brain injury.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)