Sep 9, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Chase Utley has already been ruled out for the entire weekend with a mild concussion suffered Wednesday and now general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. indicated that the Phillies second baseman probably won’t be back before late next week.
Amaro told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that “I don’t expect him to play the next two series just so we can be cautious … that’s just my guess.”
Those “next two series” are today through Sunday against the Brewers and then Monday through Wednesday against the Astros, meaning Amaro doesn’t expect to see Utley back in the lineup before Thursday.
Philadelphia’s huge lead in the NL East provides extra incentive to be cautious with injuries and as Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, Brian Roberts, Denard Span, and others have unfortunately shown recently there’s no forcing your way back from a brain injury.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 9
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 177
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (181)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)