Sep 9, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Chase Utley has already been ruled out for the entire weekend with a mild concussion suffered Wednesday and now general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. indicated that the Phillies second baseman probably won’t be back before late next week.
Amaro told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that “I don’t expect him to play the next two series just so we can be cautious … that’s just my guess.”
Those “next two series” are today through Sunday against the Brewers and then Monday through Wednesday against the Astros, meaning Amaro doesn’t expect to see Utley back in the lineup before Thursday.
Philadelphia’s huge lead in the NL East provides extra incentive to be cautious with injuries and as Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, Brian Roberts, Denard Span, and others have unfortunately shown recently there’s no forcing your way back from a brain injury.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (92)