Sep 9, 2011, 8:02 PM EST
Jeremy Affeldt is out for the season after surgery Friday to repair nerve damage in his right hand sustained when he suffered a cut while trying to separate frozen hamburger patties during a Thursday evening BBQ.
Yes, frozen hamburger patties.
First, you’re making $4.5 million per year based on your ability to grip and throw a baseball. Maybe it’s not such a good idea to do stupid things with sharp knives? And, for what it’s worth, I’ve done this before; it’s actually quite a bit easier to separate the patties with a dull butter knife. They’re thicker and they won’t twist
Second, you’re making $4.5 million per year and using frozen hamburger patties for a BBQ?
It’s not Affeldt’s pitching hand, so this shouldn’t have any lingering effects going into 2012. And if the Giants still had a real shot of playing in October, they probably wouldn’t be ruling the lefty out for the season just yet.
Still, given that this random act of stupidity is going to cost the Giants one of their best relievers for the final three weeks of the season, Affeldt should at least go ahead and donate the remaining half-million he’s due this year to charity so some good would come it.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 24
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 28
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)