Sep 9, 2011, 8:02 PM EDT
Jeremy Affeldt is out for the season after surgery Friday to repair nerve damage in his right hand sustained when he suffered a cut while trying to separate frozen hamburger patties during a Thursday evening BBQ.
Yes, frozen hamburger patties.
First, you’re making $4.5 million per year based on your ability to grip and throw a baseball. Maybe it’s not such a good idea to do stupid things with sharp knives? And, for what it’s worth, I’ve done this before; it’s actually quite a bit easier to separate the patties with a dull butter knife. They’re thicker and they won’t twist
Second, you’re making $4.5 million per year and using frozen hamburger patties for a BBQ?
It’s not Affeldt’s pitching hand, so this shouldn’t have any lingering effects going into 2012. And if the Giants still had a real shot of playing in October, they probably wouldn’t be ruling the lefty out for the season just yet.
Still, given that this random act of stupidity is going to cost the Giants one of their best relievers for the final three weeks of the season, Affeldt should at least go ahead and donate the remaining half-million he’s due this year to charity so some good would come it.
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 17
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 12
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 15
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)