Sep 9, 2011, 8:02 PM EST
Jeremy Affeldt is out for the season after surgery Friday to repair nerve damage in his right hand sustained when he suffered a cut while trying to separate frozen hamburger patties during a Thursday evening BBQ.
Yes, frozen hamburger patties.
First, you’re making $4.5 million per year based on your ability to grip and throw a baseball. Maybe it’s not such a good idea to do stupid things with sharp knives? And, for what it’s worth, I’ve done this before; it’s actually quite a bit easier to separate the patties with a dull butter knife. They’re thicker and they won’t twist
Second, you’re making $4.5 million per year and using frozen hamburger patties for a BBQ?
It’s not Affeldt’s pitching hand, so this shouldn’t have any lingering effects going into 2012. And if the Giants still had a real shot of playing in October, they probably wouldn’t be ruling the lefty out for the season just yet.
Still, given that this random act of stupidity is going to cost the Giants one of their best relievers for the final three weeks of the season, Affeldt should at least go ahead and donate the remaining half-million he’s due this year to charity so some good would come it.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)