Sep 9, 2011, 8:02 PM EDT
Jeremy Affeldt is out for the season after surgery Friday to repair nerve damage in his right hand sustained when he suffered a cut while trying to separate frozen hamburger patties during a Thursday evening BBQ.
Yes, frozen hamburger patties.
First, you’re making $4.5 million per year based on your ability to grip and throw a baseball. Maybe it’s not such a good idea to do stupid things with sharp knives? And, for what it’s worth, I’ve done this before; it’s actually quite a bit easier to separate the patties with a dull butter knife. They’re thicker and they won’t twist
Second, you’re making $4.5 million per year and using frozen hamburger patties for a BBQ?
It’s not Affeldt’s pitching hand, so this shouldn’t have any lingering effects going into 2012. And if the Giants still had a real shot of playing in October, they probably wouldn’t be ruling the lefty out for the season just yet.
Still, given that this random act of stupidity is going to cost the Giants one of their best relievers for the final three weeks of the season, Affeldt should at least go ahead and donate the remaining half-million he’s due this year to charity so some good would come it.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 3
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)