Sep 9, 2011, 5:15 PM EDT
Jim Crane, the owner-in-waiting of the Houston Astros is fed up. He’s fed up with waiting for MLB approval and he’s really fed up with the talk about why that approval is being held up. You would too if it reminded people of past allegations of war profiteering, discrimination claims and details about a custody battle you had 11 years ago playing out in public.
His side of the story — in pretty great detail — can be read in an interview he gave to Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle yesterday.
I’ll say that I have a bit of sympathy for the guy. I have a sense that the problems his bid is alleged to have are something of a moving target. Some days it’s the money, some days it’s the past. No one seems willing to go on record about it. All of this stuff had to have been known by those inside the game years ago, as Crane has been a potential owner for a long time. And of course, no one at Major League Baseball seems to be in a hurry to do anything with the bid itself.
Hard to say if this helps him or hurts him. On the one hand, it’s probably good that he’s willing to talk frankly about the stuff swirling around him. On the other hand: when was the last time MLB and Bud Selig took kindly to someone making their case in the press?
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 7
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)