Sep 9, 2011, 5:15 PM EDT
Jim Crane, the owner-in-waiting of the Houston Astros is fed up. He’s fed up with waiting for MLB approval and he’s really fed up with the talk about why that approval is being held up. You would too if it reminded people of past allegations of war profiteering, discrimination claims and details about a custody battle you had 11 years ago playing out in public.
His side of the story — in pretty great detail — can be read in an interview he gave to Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle yesterday.
I’ll say that I have a bit of sympathy for the guy. I have a sense that the problems his bid is alleged to have are something of a moving target. Some days it’s the money, some days it’s the past. No one seems willing to go on record about it. All of this stuff had to have been known by those inside the game years ago, as Crane has been a potential owner for a long time. And of course, no one at Major League Baseball seems to be in a hurry to do anything with the bid itself.
Hard to say if this helps him or hurts him. On the one hand, it’s probably good that he’s willing to talk frankly about the stuff swirling around him. On the other hand: when was the last time MLB and Bud Selig took kindly to someone making their case in the press?
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)