Sep 9, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
Last month I angered a bunch of Rangers fans by using Michael Young reaching 2,000 hits to point out that the 2,000-hit club has a relatively big membership compared to similar statistical milestones that receive much less attention.
Some people–including A’s pitcher Brandon McCarthy–took that as a knock on Young, whereas my intention was merely to show that reaching 2,000 hits is something multiple players accomplish every season, at rates similar to reaching 250 homers or 150 wins.
In fact, yesterday Juan Pierre became the eighth player to reach 2,000 hits this year alone. Preceding him into the 2,000-hit club this season were Young, Carlos Lee, Orlando Cabrera, Albert Pujols, Paul Konerko, Scott Rolen, and Adrian Beltre.
Next in line for membership? Placido Polanco (1,948), Jason Giambi (1,945), Derrek Lee (1,940), Carlos Beltran (1,895), Andruw Jones (1,880), and Jimmy Rollins (1,846). So there might only be four or five new members in 2012.
To quote Konerko: “It’s nice. It’s a round number.”
(I apologize in advance to everyone offended by this post. I’m just a menace to society.)
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)