Sep 9, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Last month I angered a bunch of Rangers fans by using Michael Young reaching 2,000 hits to point out that the 2,000-hit club has a relatively big membership compared to similar statistical milestones that receive much less attention.
Some people–including A’s pitcher Brandon McCarthy–took that as a knock on Young, whereas my intention was merely to show that reaching 2,000 hits is something multiple players accomplish every season, at rates similar to reaching 250 homers or 150 wins.
In fact, yesterday Juan Pierre became the eighth player to reach 2,000 hits this year alone. Preceding him into the 2,000-hit club this season were Young, Carlos Lee, Orlando Cabrera, Albert Pujols, Paul Konerko, Scott Rolen, and Adrian Beltre.
Next in line for membership? Placido Polanco (1,948), Jason Giambi (1,945), Derrek Lee (1,940), Carlos Beltran (1,895), Andruw Jones (1,880), and Jimmy Rollins (1,846). So there might only be four or five new members in 2012.
To quote Konerko: “It’s nice. It’s a round number.”
(I apologize in advance to everyone offended by this post. I’m just a menace to society.)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)