Sep 9, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
I don’t subscribe to GQ — I live the lifestyle baby — but there’s a good article in the October issue, also available here online. It’s a conversation with Vin Scully and in it he details the circumstances surrounding some of his biggest calls in the game.
I’m sure most if not all of these calls — ranging from Bobby Thomson through Kirk Gibson — have been discussed in other places or by Vin himself on the air. But it’s nice having them together. The stuff about his friendship with Ralph Branca and Branca’s wife just kills ya.
Basically, it’s a lot of Vin being Vin, and that’s a good thing.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)