Sep 9, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
I don’t subscribe to GQ — I live the lifestyle baby — but there’s a good article in the October issue, also available here online. It’s a conversation with Vin Scully and in it he details the circumstances surrounding some of his biggest calls in the game.
I’m sure most if not all of these calls — ranging from Bobby Thomson through Kirk Gibson — have been discussed in other places or by Vin himself on the air. But it’s nice having them together. The stuff about his friendship with Ralph Branca and Branca’s wife just kills ya.
Basically, it’s a lot of Vin being Vin, and that’s a good thing.
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 0
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 18
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 27
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 58
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)