Sep 9, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
I don’t subscribe to GQ — I live the lifestyle baby — but there’s a good article in the October issue, also available here online. It’s a conversation with Vin Scully and in it he details the circumstances surrounding some of his biggest calls in the game.
I’m sure most if not all of these calls — ranging from Bobby Thomson through Kirk Gibson — have been discussed in other places or by Vin himself on the air. But it’s nice having them together. The stuff about his friendship with Ralph Branca and Branca’s wife just kills ya.
Basically, it’s a lot of Vin being Vin, and that’s a good thing.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)