Sep 9, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
I don’t subscribe to GQ — I live the lifestyle baby — but there’s a good article in the October issue, also available here online. It’s a conversation with Vin Scully and in it he details the circumstances surrounding some of his biggest calls in the game.
I’m sure most if not all of these calls — ranging from Bobby Thomson through Kirk Gibson — have been discussed in other places or by Vin himself on the air. But it’s nice having them together. The stuff about his friendship with Ralph Branca and Branca’s wife just kills ya.
Basically, it’s a lot of Vin being Vin, and that’s a good thing.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)