Sep 9, 2011, 2:30 PM EST
I don’t subscribe to GQ — I live the lifestyle baby — but there’s a good article in the October issue, also available here online. It’s a conversation with Vin Scully and in it he details the circumstances surrounding some of his biggest calls in the game.
I’m sure most if not all of these calls — ranging from Bobby Thomson through Kirk Gibson — have been discussed in other places or by Vin himself on the air. But it’s nice having them together. The stuff about his friendship with Ralph Branca and Branca’s wife just kills ya.
Basically, it’s a lot of Vin being Vin, and that’s a good thing.
- Recapping the Winter Meetings and looking ahead to the rest of the offseason 15
- Could baseball return to Montreal? 41
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 5
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 32
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)