Sep 9, 2011, 12:46 PM EST
Chien-Ming Wang‘s comeback has been a mixed bag, as his decent-looking 4.43 ERA in eight starts comes with more walks (13) than strikeouts (12) in 45 innings.
Livan Hernandez has already been removed from the Nationals’ rotation so they could go with younger starters down the stretch and it’ll be interesting to see if Washington sticks with Wang considering the incentives built into his contract.
According to Focus Taiwan News Channel his one-year, $1 million deal includes a $500,000 bonus for staying on the active roster at least 60 days and $100,000 bonuses for each start he makes after No. 9. Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post did the math and notes that the 60-day mark would come on the second-to-last day of the season and projects Wang to make a total of 12 starts if he remains in the rotation.
That would add up to $800,000 in bonuses, along with $1 million in guaranteed salary and a $250,000 bonus that Wang already secured for being on the roster 30 days. So not only is the impending free agent pitching for his next contract, Wang has a pretty nice chunk of change waiting for him if the Nationals continue to let him start every fifth game.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)