Sep 9, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
Chien-Ming Wang‘s comeback has been a mixed bag, as his decent-looking 4.43 ERA in eight starts comes with more walks (13) than strikeouts (12) in 45 innings.
Livan Hernandez has already been removed from the Nationals’ rotation so they could go with younger starters down the stretch and it’ll be interesting to see if Washington sticks with Wang considering the incentives built into his contract.
According to Focus Taiwan News Channel his one-year, $1 million deal includes a $500,000 bonus for staying on the active roster at least 60 days and $100,000 bonuses for each start he makes after No. 9. Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post did the math and notes that the 60-day mark would come on the second-to-last day of the season and projects Wang to make a total of 12 starts if he remains in the rotation.
That would add up to $800,000 in bonuses, along with $1 million in guaranteed salary and a $250,000 bonus that Wang already secured for being on the roster 30 days. So not only is the impending free agent pitching for his next contract, Wang has a pretty nice chunk of change waiting for him if the Nationals continue to let him start every fifth game.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)