Sep 9, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
Chien-Ming Wang‘s comeback has been a mixed bag, as his decent-looking 4.43 ERA in eight starts comes with more walks (13) than strikeouts (12) in 45 innings.
Livan Hernandez has already been removed from the Nationals’ rotation so they could go with younger starters down the stretch and it’ll be interesting to see if Washington sticks with Wang considering the incentives built into his contract.
According to Focus Taiwan News Channel his one-year, $1 million deal includes a $500,000 bonus for staying on the active roster at least 60 days and $100,000 bonuses for each start he makes after No. 9. Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post did the math and notes that the 60-day mark would come on the second-to-last day of the season and projects Wang to make a total of 12 starts if he remains in the rotation.
That would add up to $800,000 in bonuses, along with $1 million in guaranteed salary and a $250,000 bonus that Wang already secured for being on the roster 30 days. So not only is the impending free agent pitching for his next contract, Wang has a pretty nice chunk of change waiting for him if the Nationals continue to let him start every fifth game.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)