Sep 9, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
Chien-Ming Wang‘s comeback has been a mixed bag, as his decent-looking 4.43 ERA in eight starts comes with more walks (13) than strikeouts (12) in 45 innings.
Livan Hernandez has already been removed from the Nationals’ rotation so they could go with younger starters down the stretch and it’ll be interesting to see if Washington sticks with Wang considering the incentives built into his contract.
According to Focus Taiwan News Channel his one-year, $1 million deal includes a $500,000 bonus for staying on the active roster at least 60 days and $100,000 bonuses for each start he makes after No. 9. Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post did the math and notes that the 60-day mark would come on the second-to-last day of the season and projects Wang to make a total of 12 starts if he remains in the rotation.
That would add up to $800,000 in bonuses, along with $1 million in guaranteed salary and a $250,000 bonus that Wang already secured for being on the roster 30 days. So not only is the impending free agent pitching for his next contract, Wang has a pretty nice chunk of change waiting for him if the Nationals continue to let him start every fifth game.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 62
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 41
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)