Sep 9, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
Triple-A coaching changes aren’t normally post-worthy, but in this case it may signal the beginning of a much bigger shakeup for the Twins.
Minnesota has had a disastrous season at nearly every level of the organization and the front office has been dropping hints about sweeping changes in the minors. Today the first moves were made, as the Twins fired Triple-A manager Tom Nieto and hitting coach Floyd Rayford.
Nieto managed Rochester to back-to-back 90-loss seasons for the first time since 1903 and 1904, and the Twins haven’t been shy about placing blame on the minor-league coaching staff for not preparing young players for the majors. It would also help if those young players were simply better, as most of the Twins’ call-ups from April through August were marginal prospects at best, but that doesn’t preclude the Triple-A coaches from having done a poor job as well.
Twins director of minor league operations Jim Rantz issued a statement saying that firing Nieto and Rayford is “just part of an overall directional change that is being implemented throughout the minor league system this offseason.” It’ll be interesting to see how deep the cuts go, because the Twins have long been one of the most stable organizations in baseball and the big-league coaching staff and front office seem safe in the midst of the team’s worst season since 1999.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)