Sep 10, 2011, 6:52 PM EDT
A-Rod won’t play for the next 3-4 days, but he should be ready to rock by the middle of next week.
The Yankees, sitting pretty atop the American League East standings with a 2.5-game lead, are simply playing it safe with their veteran slugger.
Rodriguez, 36, has batted .284/.367/.475 with 20 doubles, 15 home runs, four stolen bases and 56 RBI through 390 plate appearances this season for New York. He missed around six weeks earlier this year following a minor right knee procedure.
Eric Chavez drew the start at the hot corner in Saturday night’s tilt with the Angels.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 53
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 31
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)