Sep 10, 2011, 6:52 PM EDT
A-Rod won’t play for the next 3-4 days, but he should be ready to rock by the middle of next week.
The Yankees, sitting pretty atop the American League East standings with a 2.5-game lead, are simply playing it safe with their veteran slugger.
Rodriguez, 36, has batted .284/.367/.475 with 20 doubles, 15 home runs, four stolen bases and 56 RBI through 390 plate appearances this season for New York. He missed around six weeks earlier this year following a minor right knee procedure.
Eric Chavez drew the start at the hot corner in Saturday night’s tilt with the Angels.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)