Sep 10, 2011, 6:52 PM EDT
A-Rod won’t play for the next 3-4 days, but he should be ready to rock by the middle of next week.
The Yankees, sitting pretty atop the American League East standings with a 2.5-game lead, are simply playing it safe with their veteran slugger.
Rodriguez, 36, has batted .284/.367/.475 with 20 doubles, 15 home runs, four stolen bases and 56 RBI through 390 plate appearances this season for New York. He missed around six weeks earlier this year following a minor right knee procedure.
Eric Chavez drew the start at the hot corner in Saturday night’s tilt with the Angels.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 50
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 62
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)