Sep 10, 2011, 6:52 PM EDT
A-Rod won’t play for the next 3-4 days, but he should be ready to rock by the middle of next week.
The Yankees, sitting pretty atop the American League East standings with a 2.5-game lead, are simply playing it safe with their veteran slugger.
Rodriguez, 36, has batted .284/.367/.475 with 20 doubles, 15 home runs, four stolen bases and 56 RBI through 390 plate appearances this season for New York. He missed around six weeks earlier this year following a minor right knee procedure.
Eric Chavez drew the start at the hot corner in Saturday night’s tilt with the Angels.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)