Sep 10, 2011, 12:20 PM EST
With the Giants losing again last night — and the Dbacks winning again — San Francisco is now eight and a half back and the season is effectively over. So there’s no harm, it would seem, in letting Barry Zito pitch a little. Which, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, is exactly what is going to happen. Bruce Bochy said he would “help out anywhere” which I assume means garbage time.
I’m going to consider this the unofficial white flag of the Giants season. And, in keeping with the recent departures of Miguel Tejada and Aaron Rowand, I would not be at all surprised to see whatever action Zito has down the stretch be his last action in a Giants uniform.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)