Sep 10, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
With the Giants losing again last night — and the Dbacks winning again — San Francisco is now eight and a half back and the season is effectively over. So there’s no harm, it would seem, in letting Barry Zito pitch a little. Which, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, is exactly what is going to happen. Bruce Bochy said he would “help out anywhere” which I assume means garbage time.
I’m going to consider this the unofficial white flag of the Giants season. And, in keeping with the recent departures of Miguel Tejada and Aaron Rowand, I would not be at all surprised to see whatever action Zito has down the stretch be his last action in a Giants uniform.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)