Sep 10, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
With the Giants losing again last night — and the Dbacks winning again — San Francisco is now eight and a half back and the season is effectively over. So there’s no harm, it would seem, in letting Barry Zito pitch a little. Which, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, is exactly what is going to happen. Bruce Bochy said he would “help out anywhere” which I assume means garbage time.
I’m going to consider this the unofficial white flag of the Giants season. And, in keeping with the recent departures of Miguel Tejada and Aaron Rowand, I would not be at all surprised to see whatever action Zito has down the stretch be his last action in a Giants uniform.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 24
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)