Sep 10, 2011, 9:24 PM EST
Buster Posey‘s rehab remains on track.
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, the 24-year-old backstop played catch Saturday for the first time since undergoing reconstructive ankle surgery following a late-May collision with Marlins outfielder Scott Cousins.
Posey experienced no issues during the short throwing-only workout, and was filled with enthusiasm during a chat with reporters afterwards.
“I never thought I’d be so excited driving to the field today just to play catch for seven minutes,” Posey said Saturday. “It’s a big confidence boost, even something as simple as playing catch. It’s so nice. … No pain It’s just stiff and weak. The biggest challenge is getting the range of motion back.”
Posey has also been doing squats in the weight room on a daily basis, along with conditioning and balance drills. He will head to the Giants’ spring training complex in about a week and will spend over a month there before heading home to Georgia for the offseason. The fifth overall pick in 2008, Posey batted .284/.368/.389 with four home runs and 21 RBI in 45 games this season. He won the Rookie of the Year honors in 2010.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 80
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)