Sep 10, 2011, 9:24 PM EDT
Buster Posey‘s rehab remains on track.
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, the 24-year-old backstop played catch Saturday for the first time since undergoing reconstructive ankle surgery following a late-May collision with Marlins outfielder Scott Cousins.
Posey experienced no issues during the short throwing-only workout, and was filled with enthusiasm during a chat with reporters afterwards.
“I never thought I’d be so excited driving to the field today just to play catch for seven minutes,” Posey said Saturday. “It’s a big confidence boost, even something as simple as playing catch. It’s so nice. … No pain It’s just stiff and weak. The biggest challenge is getting the range of motion back.”
Posey has also been doing squats in the weight room on a daily basis, along with conditioning and balance drills. He will head to the Giants’ spring training complex in about a week and will spend over a month there before heading home to Georgia for the offseason. The fifth overall pick in 2008, Posey batted .284/.368/.389 with four home runs and 21 RBI in 45 games this season. He won the Rookie of the Year honors in 2010.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)