Sep 10, 2011, 9:24 PM EDT
Buster Posey‘s rehab remains on track.
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, the 24-year-old backstop played catch Saturday for the first time since undergoing reconstructive ankle surgery following a late-May collision with Marlins outfielder Scott Cousins.
Posey experienced no issues during the short throwing-only workout, and was filled with enthusiasm during a chat with reporters afterwards.
“I never thought I’d be so excited driving to the field today just to play catch for seven minutes,” Posey said Saturday. “It’s a big confidence boost, even something as simple as playing catch. It’s so nice. … No pain It’s just stiff and weak. The biggest challenge is getting the range of motion back.”
Posey has also been doing squats in the weight room on a daily basis, along with conditioning and balance drills. He will head to the Giants’ spring training complex in about a week and will spend over a month there before heading home to Georgia for the offseason. The fifth overall pick in 2008, Posey batted .284/.368/.389 with four home runs and 21 RBI in 45 games this season. He won the Rookie of the Year honors in 2010.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 6
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 20
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 56
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 69
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (94)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)