Sep 10, 2011, 9:29 AM EDT
In addition to Kevin Youkilis‘ hip bursitis, it turns out that the Red Sox’ third baseman also has a hernia. That according to Pete Abraham and Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
The hernia will require surgery, but Youkilis is going to wait until the offseason for that. It’s probably not doing wonderful things for his nibleness, power, flexability and mood, however.
Youkilis received an injection for his hip bursitis yesterday and could rejoin the Red Sox as soon as today. Whether he’s going to be effective or not is an open question. He has certainly struggled lately.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 41
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 87
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)